what about shavettes?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors (SR)' started by jaro101969, May 14, 2019 at 8:35 PM.

1. jaro101969

jaro101969 Member

so as my other post says i have never tried a straight razor before (I use de) what about these shavette things??? never tried one of them either would that be a way to sort of start on straight edge?

2. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Shavettes are much less forgiving than a straight. I simply would not bother using a shavette. By this I mean a shavette that uses 1/2 a DE blade. There are other "shavettes" that use a larger blade giving a shave more like a straight such as the Feather AC razors and the Dovo.

R181 and slapo like this.
  3. jaro101969

jaro101969 Member

thanks i didnt know that

4. slapo

slapo Forum GOD!

If you decide to get one, it's good training for improving your technique as some of what you learn also translates to safety razors.
    But like @Rowlers said, they are unfogiving.

I quite like the Parker SR1 and SRX. They work well with short injector blades, too.

5. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

I started with straight razors and have no urge to try a shavette out as I have read that they are less forgiving than a straight razor. If I need a disposibble blade razor I will use a DE/SE for the purpose.

Bob

Rowlers likes this.
  6. Nisse

Nisse Veteran

I enjoy using a shavette with 1/2 a DE-blade, makes me feel like a pro barber :)

7. Nisse

Nisse Veteran

A shavette reminds me of a synthetic shaving brush - will do a great job, lacking looks and personality, a classic straight razor then is a badger or a boar brush - will do a great job, add to that looks and personality

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 9:24 PM
    R181 likes this.
  8. GoReds

GoReds Über Member

I thought that shavettes were unforgiving in the beginning. And they were indeed . :)

I have kept just one so far. The universal full blade version. It is the most forgiving from all the shavettes I have tried. Highly recommended.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 10:05 PM
  9. Cristobal

Cristobal Forum GOD!

I've been using the Universal half blade shavette for 10 days or so. The first 3 minutes of the very first shave were a blood bath... But then, after learning the hard way, I got the trick.

R181 likes this.
  10. jaro101969

jaro101969 Member

ok i will consider what im gonna do thanks so far

11. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Can't say I have had a blood bath when learning to use a straight razor. Some cuts and nicks but no blood bath.

Bob

12. culcreuch

culcreuch Ooooops!

One exception may be the Focus R28 Slim Al. The blade corners are enclosed which makes them much more forgiving. They are designed well and in my opinion are a viable option.

Rowlers likes this.
  13. Nisse

Nisse Veteran

XDSC2917.jpg
    my Dovo and Böker both have the tip of blade protected and I believe Vanta has got both ends covered

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 11:35 PM
    Rowlers and culcreuch like this.
  14. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

I'd recommend the CJB Shavette as available from Maggard Razors as a decent shavette, especially for the money. I think I paid about £13 for mine, including shipping from US to UK, during their Christmas sales. It doesn't amount to much more than that now, outside of the sale.
    For what it's worth, the blades will make a difference here too. Schick Proline P-30 blades are great in my opinion. I don't feel the need to try anything else.

culcreuch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice