What’s a good and soothing shave balm

DiggyGun

Hi All

Beginning to do a bit more shaving now the wife asked me to do a Goatee instead of a full beard. Although I’ve been wet shaving for many years with a DE, keeping it tidy, I now have more skin exposed that hasn’t seen the light of day for over 35 years.

Coupled with the fact that I’m now trying straight edge shaving as well, this is causing my 60 year skin to get a bit sore with razor burn. I know that my technique will improve and my skin will harden up a bit, but in the meantime, can anyone recommend a really good shave balm / cream that will soothe the current tenderness.

Yours hopefully from a sore man based in the UK.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I really love Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Taylor's Luxury Aftershave Balm. A little goes a very long way. I've tried some others like Proraso White balm, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave balm and even Olay Complete. They all seem to leave my face a little oily. Some more than others. But not the TOBS. If I ever use up the others I'll not replace them. The only one I need in my den is the TOBS.

Quique

Forum GOD!
I always wonder why this balm is no longer seen here in SOTDs, being an English product. In Spain it is a very appreciated balm

isaiah53

Forum GOD!
I always wonder why this balm is no longer seen here in SOTDs, being an English product. In Spain it is a very appreciated balm

I've very rarely seen it in shops or supermarkets, the rest of the bulldog range is out there, not the aftershave balm though. I've used it before and really liked it.

Second vote for Eufros but also I enjoy Boots No7 and currently my absolute favourite is Saponificio Varesino "Pro Victis" skin repair cream.
Pricey though, but works brilliantly if you had a bad shave with irritation or cuts ect.

Dr Watson

James
After Shave Balm Pace with Silk 100ml | TDS.BEL (xn--d1a0ab.xn--90ais)

^ This stuff is flipping amazing, I keep shilling this brand around the forum but it's just so damn good.

Ingredients: Shungite water, lavender hydrolate, glyceryl monostearate, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, shea butter, grape seed oil, cosguard, unrefined jojoba oil, glycine, caprylic triglyceride, allantoin, stearic acid, xanthan gum, aloe vera, aloe vera rosemary extract, vitamin E, essential oil composition.

Price? £2.60 a bottle... Okay plus postage from Belarus but it's worth it, just add a few soaps to the order or something :D

If that seems like too much work then a bottle of Proraso sensitive balm is good stuff. NEW Proraso Aftershave Balm for Sensitive Skin - 100ml Bottle White – La Barbiera

Mastropiero

Forum GOD!
I'm quite partial to Truefitt & Hill's Sandalwood. Not overly greasy, very elegant scent and very soothing.

Another one that I find works wonders is Crabtree & Evelyn's balms. Sadly, the company went tits up a few years ago, but their balms were top notch. I still have their Indian Sandalwood, which is good as a balm, very good, but the scent is a massive step down from their Sandalwood. Now, that was a thing of beauty, that's a bit of an unobtanium for me. Anyone should have one of those laying around, please, think of me...

Martini

Forum GOD!
After Shave Balm Pace with Silk 100ml | TDS.BEL (xn--d1a0ab.xn--90ais)

^ This stuff is flipping amazing, I keep shilling this brand around the forum but it's just so damn good.

Ingredients: Shungite water, lavender hydrolate, glyceryl monostearate, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, shea butter, grape seed oil, cosguard, unrefined jojoba oil, glycine, caprylic triglyceride, allantoin, stearic acid, xanthan gum, aloe vera, aloe vera rosemary extract, vitamin E, essential oil composition.

Price? £2.60 a bottle... Okay plus postage from Belarus but it's worth it, just add a few soaps to the order or something :D

If that seems like too much work then a bottle of Proraso sensitive balm is good stuff. NEW Proraso Aftershave Balm for Sensitive Skin - 100ml Bottle White – La Barbiera
I like the ordering process on their site :giggle:. Customer have to simply put items "In garbage". What a stupid translation and nobody until now is taking care to correct it. Anyway, I put my "in garbage" and I hope this is not the real place this balm will find.

Dr Watson

James
I like the ordering process on their site :giggle:. Customer have to simply put items "In garbage". What a stupid translation and nobody until now is taking care to correct it. Anyway, I put my "in garbage" and I hope this is not the real place this balm will find.
I found it charming, good idea though - Perhap's someone should alert them to the error.

DiggyGun

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

Have done some shopping and got a couple of balms; firstly, Proraso Aftershave Balm Sensitive and secondly, Taylor’s of Bond Street Luxury Aftershave Balm.

Having tried them both, I prefer the TOBS, it is a bit more soothing and has a slight cooling effect.

Jfett

CunningMr.Fox
Don't take the piss 🗣🗣🗣 but I've been like you and searched and searched and searched. I suffer with sensitive skin and irritation. My dream combo is, child's farm unscented, and Palmer's cocoa butter. For me, the dream team. I come out the shower and use child's farm, then I'll wipe down and clean the bathroom. When that's done, round two with Palmer's and my skin is invincible. Many respects. J.