Wet room or Shower tray

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Cut a long story short, leaky bath. Been re-sealed against the wall several times; doesn't last.

So had a look at options with my wife. Wet rooms or a standard shower tray are the runners. Having never owned a wet room previously and being more expensive, I wanted be alert to any short comings. Especially as the entire floor will have to be taken up if a leak occurs.

The procedure is trunking twice over then the membrane and tiles on top. It will be upstairs. 25 year guarantee on parts, 2 on labour.

Dr Watson

James
Our rental property is disability adapted (for the previous occupants, the owners parents.) Part of the adaptation is a full on wet room and it is the worst thing ever, absolutely hate it... Give me a good bath any day.

The floor seal failed late year and so the entire thing had to be ripped up and replaced and it's only been down 5 years (at great expense, £6000 I'm told - The original conversion that is.) Was speaking the to floor layer who they got in to sort it out and he was of the opinion they are fine for one+ person having 2-3 washes a week but if there's a family of daily bathers you're asking for trouble.

Last edited:

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I've moved into a place recently with a wet room. No idea when it was installed, but the vinyl flooring is a mess as it's cracked and bubbling. On the other hand, my parents have a wet room in their place for accessibility, fully tiled and it's been going strong for 10 years+. May just come down to the quality the initial work and builders?

I'm planning on having a new wet room put in in a different location in the house. Hope I end up with a good one...

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thank you for the responses. I think a conventional shower plus tray would be better. I love a bath but a walk in shower would be more practical. We both shower twice a day so the wet room seems like it may be a running expense.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
My daughter and her husband have a wet room in their townhouse and it’s been problem free for the past 7 years. Fifteen years ago we re-did our en-suite bathroom and installed a glass-walled shower with a rain head (12” diameter) in the ceiling and a heavy-duty precast floor and bench. As the floor and bench are one piece with no seams the only potential for leaks is around the drain hole in the floor, but so far so good. I wouldn’t trade the rain head shower for anything; it‘s in the centre of the shower area and cascades the water all over you. We spent a pretty penny on the shower, but it has been well worth the expense.