We all get here eventually

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I do think he has a point that we all get locked into that desire to have the most elite gear and soaps, and that in reality you can have great shaves without those things. That said, he seems to believe that something like the Maca Root cream offers performance as good as, say, Excelsior or Grooming Dept. It doesn't.

I feel like you don't NEED those elite items, but if you WANT them and you're not going to put yourself in financial difficulty with your purchases go for it.

R181

Grumpy old man
I do think he has a point that we all get locked into that desire to have the most elite gear and soaps, and that in reality you can have great shaves without those things. That said, he seems to believe that something like the Maca Root cream offers performance as good as, say, Excelsior or Grooming Dept. It doesn't.

I feel like you don't NEED those elite items, but if you WANT them and you're not going to put yourself in financial difficulty with your purchases go for it.
All I can say is beginners would be far better off perfecting their shaving and lathering techniques than thinking that they can magically improve their shaves by throwing money at it in the form of expensive razors, brushes, soap and creams. The simple truth is they can't unless the basics are there. If you can't get a good comfortable shave with, as an example, an Edwin Jagger DE, Maca Root cream and an inexpensive Omega boar brush the problem is likely staring back at you from the mirror.

Once you are proficient with basic equipment giving you close comfortable shave, then explore the more expensive gear. You might then be able at that point to appreciate how much or how little improvement the extra spending is giving you.

Yes, if you recognize you don't need expensive gear but just want it and are not putting yourself out financially to get it then by all means fill your boots.

Bob

D

Deleted member 1881

All I can say is beginners would be far better off perfecting their shaving and lathering techniques than thinking that they can magically improve their shaves by throwing money at it in the form of expensive razors, brushes, soap and creams. The simple truth is they can't unless the basics are there. If you can't get a good comfortable shave with, as an example, an Edwin Jagger DE, Maca Root cream and an inexpensive Omega boar brush the problem is likely staring back at you from the mirror.

Once you are proficient with basic equipment giving you close comfortable shave, then explore the more expensive gear. You might then be able at that point to appreciate how much or how little improvement the extra spending is giving you.

Yes, if you recognize you don't need expensive gear but just want it and are not putting yourself out financially to get it then by all means fill your boots.

Bob
This is so true king Bob, I understand that expensive stuff is not always the point. I never bought anything expensive to be honest, but I can definitely understand which is better than something else no matter how much it costs.

I found many times that when a soap costs 30 euros is no better than a soap that costs 10. Never vice-versa.

D

Deleted member 30

The question is, can you put a price on the excitement of purchasing and collecting items?

I collect old film cameras, not cheap any more and there will come a point when they will no longer be usable. Does this stop me? No, I enjoy the excitement it gives me. The research, the searching for the item, the ordering, the waiting for arrival, the arrival, the unboxing, the cleaning and/or restoration and finally trying it out. It's really the same process with shaving gear or anything for that matter.

The point I'm trying to make, yes the price and the quality of something is a deciding factor into purchasing and collecting but it's not the driving force. How it makes you feel is.

Personaly I think there is more to IAMCDB video than what meets the eye.

D

Deleted member 1881

Having used Maca Root yesterday again after a long time, I can confirm that its performance is not even near A&E, Declaration, Wholly, Southern and Barrister.

It was my first cream, I liked it so much, when comparing to my other cream back in the day, Proraso Blue.

:angelic: Randy had some good character then, having TWO fecking creams and ONE razor and ONE brush.
:devil: And soon the darkness....

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Having used Maca Root yesterday again after a long time, I can confirm that its performance is not even near A&E, Declaration, Wholly, Southern and Barrister.

It was my first cream, I liked it so much, when comparing to my other cream back in the day, Proraso Blue.

:angelic: Randy had some good character then, having TWO fecking creams and ONE razor and ONE brush.
:devil: And soon the darkness....
But.... credit where it's due: I'd say it's still a very good cream and can be had for a very good price point. Still one I'd continue to recommend to people - yes, I'm one of those weirdos that like the smell of the Maca Root cream!

R181

Grumpy old man
But.... credit where it's due: I'd say it's still a very good cream and can be had for a very good price point. Still one I'd continue to recommend to people - yes, I'm one of those weirdos that like the smell of the Maca Root cream!
Yup, I'd say the same thing.

Bob

Randomangle

Über Bum
I initially liked the smell but can now detect something rank in the base notes. A touch of rotten vegetation I think – I will have to use it up fast.

D

Deleted member 1881

I like the smell too!

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
Funny I can't stand Macca Root , I hate the smell and found it leave a greasy layer on the skin. It is Slick but for all the wrong reasons for me.

Pattorashu

Senior Moment
Cella and Arko all over again lol. Very polarizing stuff. I tried it when I first started wet shaving, didn't care for the scent. I wonder if I would 10 years later? I'll have to pop round a body shop next time I'm in the area of one.

As far as OP is concerned, you might get there one day. I think that reviewer was just simply worn out. Honestly I'd get tired of it too, day in and day out trying new stuff, it'd honestly be like chasing a drug high if that makes any sense.

However, I think the average shaver or even gear enthusiast probably won't reach a high level of boredom or the like. I get two or three things at a time, and then I get to use them up. I'll throw in a few samples if I order something else on a website, and see if anything is intriguing. I think I've used that word three times this morning, it's time to change it up.

9/10 people would have trouble getting bored and dissociate with the hobby. The reviewer sounds like the hobby became a job, and even doing a job you like you can get very tired of doing it.

D

Deleted member 1881

Cella and Arko all over again lol. Very polarizing stuff. I tried it when I first started wet shaving, didn't care for the scent. I wonder if I would 10 years later? I'll have to pop round a body shop next time I'm in the area of one.

As far as OP is concerned, you might get there one day. I think that reviewer was just simply worn out. Honestly I'd get tired of it too, day in and day out trying new stuff, it'd honestly be like chasing a drug high if that makes any sense.

However, I think the average shaver or even gear enthusiast probably won't reach a high level of boredom or the like. I get two or three things at a time, and then I get to use them up. I'll throw in a few samples if I order something else on a website, and see if anything is intriguing. I think I've used that word three times this morning, it's time to change it up.

9/10 people would have trouble getting bored and dissociate with the hobby. The reviewer sounds like the hobby became a job, and even doing a job you like you can get very tired of doing it.
Oh I hate Cella. Changes colour over time, smells terrible I think I will toss mine.