We all get here eventually

TheChrisC

Über Member
I do think he has a point that we all get locked into that desire to have the most elite gear and soaps, and that in reality you can have great shaves without those things. That said, he seems to believe that something like the Maca Root cream offers performance as good as, say, Excelsior or Grooming Dept. It doesn't.

I feel like you don't NEED those elite items, but if you WANT them and you're not going to put yourself in financial difficulty with your purchases go for it.

R181

Grumpy old man
I do think he has a point that we all get locked into that desire to have the most elite gear and soaps, and that in reality you can have great shaves without those things. That said, he seems to believe that something like the Maca Root cream offers performance as good as, say, Excelsior or Grooming Dept. It doesn't.

I feel like you don't NEED those elite items, but if you WANT them and you're not going to put yourself in financial difficulty with your purchases go for it.
All I can say is beginners would be far better off perfecting their shaving and lathering techniques than thinking that they can magically improve their shaves by throwing money at it in the form of expensive razors, brushes, soap and creams. The simple truth is they can't unless the basics are there. If you can't get a good comfortable shave with, as an example, an Edwin Jagger DE, Maca Root cream and an inexpensive Omega boar brush the problem is likely staring back at you from the mirror.

Once you are proficient with basic equipment giving you close comfortable shave, then explore the more expensive gear. You might then be able at that point to appreciate how much or how little improvement the extra spending is giving you.

Yes, if you recognize you don't need expensive gear but just want it and are not putting yourself out financially to get it then by all means fill your boots.

Bob

RandySp

Legendary Member
All I can say is beginners would be far better off perfecting their shaving and lathering techniques than thinking that they can magically improve their shaves by throwing money at it in the form of expensive razors, brushes, soap and creams. The simple truth is they can't unless the basics are there. If you can't get a good comfortable shave with, as an example, an Edwin Jagger DE, Maca Root cream and an inexpensive Omega boar brush the problem is likely staring back at you from the mirror.

Once you are proficient with basic equipment giving you close comfortable shave, then explore the more expensive gear. You might then be able at that point to appreciate how much or how little improvement the extra spending is giving you.

Yes, if you recognize you don't need expensive gear but just want it and are not putting yourself out financially to get it then by all means fill your boots.

Bob
This is so true king Bob, I understand that expensive stuff is not always the point. I never bought anything expensive to be honest, but I can definitely understand which is better than something else no matter how much it costs.

I found many times that when a soap costs 30 euros is no better than a soap that costs 10. Never vice-versa.