VPN Recommendations

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
On a similarish topic: Does anyone bother with secure/private email accounts? Usually a paid for service - but the service providers don't trawl your emails for data to sell on.

sev-8

Guru
On a similarish topic: Does anyone bother with secure/private email accounts? Usually a paid for service - but the service providers don't trawl your emails for data to sell on.
Yeah, as @efsk commented, we both use ProtonMail which is a paid for service based in Switzerland, all emails are encrypted which has benefits (no trawling, can't hand over anything to the police, etc) but some drawbacks too, such as only being able to search for sender and subject, but nothing in the body of the email.

I used to run my own email server and would never have moved it to Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Am still a bit wary of not having control of my emails and where they're stored, but happy with the service and a lot less admin (and elec bills) than having a PC running 24/7 at home.

WildVieLong

I've been a happy fastmail customer for years. I don't even use a local client anymore (4+ years). They have a nice app for phones too.
Search tools are good. You can create subdirectories, and do extensive filtering and it's not complicated to do. Good spam squashing as well, that is very tweak-able as well.

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I've been a happy fastmail customer for years. I don't even use a local client anymore (4+ years). They have a nice app for phones too.
Search tools are good. You can create subdirectories, and do extensive filtering and it's not complicated to do. Good spam squashing as well, that is very tweak-able as well.

Thank you - Fastmail looks nice and slick. Just need to figure whether a custom domain can be transferred.

WildVieLong

I used to run my own email server and would never have moved it to Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Am still a bit wary of not having control of my emails and where they're stored, but happy with the service and a lot less admin (and elec bills) than having a PC running 24/7 at home.
BTW, if you are a mail geek and want the most control anyone is ever going to give you over a mail server that isn't yours check out Cotse.net https://cotse.net/email-spam.html You can whitelist, goldlist, blacklist, use auto expiring addresses, all kinds of cool stuff. The web interface is not sexy, it's clunky, but has a lot of power. If you use this one you'd want a real mail client on your computer or phone.

Last edited:

efsk

Forum GOD!
I use mail, not the VPN. It's relatively new so didn't know how good it was. Might try it out once my PIA is up for renewal
While using their mail, try the beta. A lot slicker and more responsive.

Yeah, as @efsk commented, we both use ProtonMail which is a paid for service based in Switzerland, all emails are encrypted which has benefits (no trawling, can't hand over anything to the police, etc) but some drawbacks too, such as only being able to search for sender and subject, but nothing in the body of the email.

You can use the Protonmail Bridge (you have (had?) to apply when using Linux, freely available for Apple/Windows) and have your local mailclient talk to imap it. All options you local client offers can then be applied on your protonmail as well.

oliviam

I tried CyberGhost before using PIA and didn’t like it as much, it was slower and didn’t have manual server selection (only automatic).