Vintage SE v AC/SE Razors.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
Have just completed a rotation using a variety of modern AC/SE Razors. They were fitted with different blades and all delivered quite good Shaves with two or three excellent ones, all these Shaves were trouble free.

Today I started a Vintage rotation using what is probably my favourite Vintage SE - a "Streamline" fitted with a coated Gem Blade [ 2 ]. During this Shave I found that to avoid mishap I needed to take more care than when using the AC/SE, so the Shave was actually more of a challenge. I am rather pleased to say that my care and attention was rewarded with a top notch finish equalling those I get with the modern SEs.

I do not know what those of you who use both Vintage/ Modern AC SE think ?, but I reckon that use of the Vintage requires a lot more skill than their counterparts which I find less challenging. I have not mentioned modern Gem /SEs as I have only tried a Sabre L1 and an ATT SE-G which IMHO are no match for Vintage.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Have just completed a rotation using a variety of modern AC/SE Razors. They were fitted with different blades and all delivered quite good Shaves with two or three excellent ones, all these Shaves were trouble free.

Today I started a Vintage rotation using what is probably my favourite Vintage SE - a "Streamline" fitted with a coated Gem Blade [ 2 ]. During this Shave I found that to avoid mishap I needed to take more care than when using the AC/SE, so the Shave was actually more of a challenge. I am rather pleased to say that my care and attention was rewarded with a top notch finish equalling those I get with the modern SEs.

I do not know what those of you who use both Vintage/ Modern AC SE think ?, but I reckon that use of the Vintage requires a lot more skill than their counterparts which I find less challenging. I have not mentioned modern Gem /SEs as I have only tried a Sabre L1 and an ATT SE-G which IMHO are no match for Vintage.
Ha the ATT SE-G is no match for any razor! Even after being worked on by ATT and by myself, a bloody good paperweight though! :) P.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Kept my MMOC, MMCP and 1912, since they give good close shaves. Sold my ATT SE1. I found GEM blades sharper and more manoeuvrable. No special wish to try a modern SE since I mostly use efficient modern DEs.

R181

Grumpy old man
I have only used a variety of Gem razors. The only blade I will use in them is the Personna GEM PTFE coated stainless steel ones. The angle on the blade is very different from any DE I have used and more like that when using a straight razor. Once you have that sorted, they can and do give a shave that is hard to beat. Love them and have no urge to try any modern SEs.

Bob

rabidus

Forum GOD!
I prefer modern, particularly the SS ATT SE1 with a Proline.

I found two Streamline razors in an antique store and got rid of them both, the MMOC and MMCP are better.

Every once in a while I use the Micromatic's but it's rare.

I just picked the Razorock Eco and it is just a step behind my SE1, I prefer the wider AC blade. Definitely a keeper.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
After nearly a week of Shaving with a variety of AC/SE Razors with different blades, I had one with perhaps my favourite Vintage SEs -an ER Streamline.

Shaves with AC/SE Razor are in the main very smooth and comfortable, and very forgiving, The finish with some of them is ultra close without the likelihood of causing oneself any damage.

Shaves with Vintage SEs seem to require much more concentration and care to get the closest of Shaves without mishap, but getting one is very satisfying.

Maybe some view Shaves with AC/SEs as rather clinical, in comparison to using Vintage. I am happy to continue to use both formats, but now if I want a guaranteed Top Notch finish with no fear of bloodshed, I go for an AC/SE.