Unpopular opinions

Having read the above I thought I'd throw a couple in.

You do NOT need a huge collection of razors, soaps etc

Just because its expensive doesn't mean it's good.
Are these really unpopular opinions or just yours?

Do the majority of people really believe if it’s expensive it’s good?

Grishnak

Guru
I found it unwatchable. Good on her for shaving with proper equipment, but we don’t need to see it on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You think you are scarred now?

Wait until Wayne does some ironing videos (I’m already imagining a wig, makeup, an inflatable BBQ Booby Apron, ironing a mankini and it could be worse!)

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Are these really unpopular opinions or just yours?

Do the majority of people really believe if it’s expensive it’s good?
Probably a bit of both really as all the opinions posted so far are specific to the individual.

The whole trend for razors like the Wolfman and similar seems to suggest that people want one because its expensive. I'm not saying the majority think if it's expensive it must be good, but in my opinion there is a fair number. On the other hand, I'm not suggesting that all expensive things are rubbish either.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
Probably a bit of both really as all the opinions posted so far are specific to the individual.

The whole trend for razors like the Wolfman and similar seems to suggest that people want one because its expensive. I'm not saying the majority think if it's expensive it must be good, but in my opinion there is a fair number. On the other hand, I'm not suggesting that all expensive things are rubbish either.
I agree with you Damian and think that a lot of the demand for some of these razors is purely down to hyped-up exclusivity factor.

A Mongoose used to be a really desirable razor with waiting lists until the next new shiny toy came along and I suspect the same will happen with some of the expensive razors that are currently doing the rounds.

The fact that 60% of the last Charcoal Goods waiting list offer take up is currently only 60% and a batch of level 2 razors have been available to purchase for well over a week now, suggests to me that this will be the next bubble to burst. I’m in no way decrying the product just purely looking at the facts.

For pure exclusivity the Hone 15t looks like a comparative bargain at £500 with only having 22 been made. Theoretically these should fly off the shelves but you don’t see many (or even any) of them out there (which is something of a shame as Hones are good and well made razors).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grishnak

Guru

I don’t speak from experience of buying razors and have never owned a “crafted” one.

I am just wondering if it is the expense and exclusivity that draws “us” to them.
I do like the idea of supporting the cottage industry so to speak and like the idea of design for function despite the costs, over mass produced factory items. It’s also nice to look on a Blackbird for example and see the realisation and care that went into it by its maker, polished, to be the best example of itself it can be.
I’m not saying this IS the reason we are drawn, but I feel more affinity to a @Steven_jagger brush handle than the Muhle mass produced ones.

Maybe it is the same as some of us are happy with an Athena poster on the wall and others prefer a short run print or original artwork.

Just writing this as I am curious as to my own motives and desires.

TobyC

Legendary Member
Seconded.

My first razor was an adjustable.
Not knowing anything about razors, let alone adjustables, this purchase was a happy accident. Just the only DE available in Boots that day.
Dad had died when I was 12, so I had no coaching, just the memory of him dropping a blade in and shaving.
The only misfortune I had, was every blade in our household (razor, scissors, kitchen knife, garden shears) was Wilkinson Sword, as Dad swore by them, as I then saw all other makes as inferior copies.
I just dropped a WS blade in, set the adjuster to 1 and tried to shave (obviously with some [poor] prep). The razor failed to shave me so I turned up to 2 and so on until “contact!” and had an awful scrape of a shave.
This continued for a couple of years. Poor prep and an insistence on WS blades not helping, but my technique did improve and I started to dial back down and achieved slightly more comfort until giving up.

My fatherly shave coaching was provided 6 months ago by Brian (of The Executive Shave Company) where I then tried a Personna blade and shave cream. I bought the second badger brush of my life, did proper prep and pulled the Blackbeaty out of exile.

This adjustable, certainly with ATG members advice, has journeyed and grown with me and assisted improvement in my technique and is continuing to do so.
Oh heck no!!! Adjustable razors are gimmicks for the gullible! And the last thing a newbie needs is a cool little twisty thing with numbers on it. If you know how to shave you don't need an adjustable,... if you don't know how to shave you really don't need an adjustable!