Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Dr Watson, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

Do you hold any unpopular opinions when it comes to shaving? Share them here... I'll go first :happy:

Boar and high end badger are not so different from each other.

Part of the recent evolution in badger brushes is the search for certain characteristics, like gel tips and great backbone (especially the latter, backbone is a highly rated characteristic nowadays), that are easily found - and even inherent - on the large majority of boar brushes, at a fraction of the cost of any high-end badger. In a way, many high-end badgers seem to be trying to mimic the characteristics that you can find easily on a £10 boar brush. Ironic.

:hotdrink:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    lloydrm, Boru62, JamieM and 10 others like this.
  2. Blackmass

Blackmass Forum GOD!

Where do I start?:wink::laugh:

Boru62, fly3k, bambrit and 9 others like this.
  3. morr

morr Legendary Member

While I don't necesserily agree with that one, I could list many of my own. Let me think..

Fox, Barry1963, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  4. ajc347

ajc347 Forum GOD!

Here’s two from me:

1) Pre-shave oil, when used properly, can make a significant difference to a shave (albeit not for everyone I must add).

and

2) Super and/or uber lathering are superior to using just soap or cream alone (in most instances).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry1963, Grishnak, TobyC and 2 others like this.
  5. Dr Watson

[​IMG]

6. Dr Watson

I did say unpopular :p:

morr likes this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Chili Dog

I agree on the boar issue, I'll never waste my money again on a badger. Zenith boar brushes are fantastic fresh out of the box, and get better with each use.

I use my blades until they tell me they are done, and I don't remove the blade from the razor until it's time to change it.

I use hard soap pucks, I never bloom, and I lather on top of the puck.

The Gillette OLD type is the best DE razor ever made!

The best handle for a vintage razor is the one the factory put on it, and no handle over 3 1/4" should ever be used on ANY razor.

Stainless steel is for blades, brass is for razors.

Boru62, bambrit, slapo and 7 others like this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Chili Dog

Thanks for reminding me of those two.

I never use pre-shave of any kind!

I just lather on the puck, no need for rituals at the altar of the soap!

Fox, ajc347 and Mrchick like this.
  9. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Definitely disagree on the boar point, water retention, density and tip softness are just a few that differ when looking at the two hair types. In fact I go to a boar brush when I want something completely different to a badger :)

Other unpopular opinions:
    Stainless steel is better than Zamak, nope it's all down to technique. Check out blind barbers in India, they feel the face, mind map and shave with the cheapest of products, perfectly.

Multi blade razors cause ingrown hairs and irritation - nope show me the science when everyone's skin and stubble regrowth is different.

Duck fat, goose fat, lard, liposuction discharge is great for shaving soaps - nope everyone's skin is different.

You should start off with a cheap razor as a beginner - nope, cheaper perhaps but at the end of the day it's your time and money that will influence results, more so than a 12 step process.

A shavette shaves 'the same' as a straight - nope a straight is much more comfortable and safer IMO.

All badger hair is the same - nope badgers have different hairs as do humans.

Stainless steel doesn't rust - nope try telling my eyes that.

The more aggressive a razor the closer the shave - nope go back to GCSE science.

A couple that I'm currently researching:
    1.Menthol is good for the skin when shaving
    2. EO have little to no affect on skin condition or sensitivity long term.

Matsilainen, RSSO, Reevers and 6 others like this.
  10. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ Forum DOG!

• Synthetic brushes are better than either badger or boar.
    • Sheet metal is a better material for razors than stainless steel.
    • All DE blades are flimsy crap.
    • You can't beat the Gillette Fusion for close, irritation-free shaves.
    I still use boars and badgers occasionally, shave with DE razors from time to time and don't even know where my Fusion is.
    I own zero stainless steel razors though.
    :p:

RSSO, Rowlers, HMan and 1 other person like this.
  11. morr

morr Legendary Member

Here are some of mine. Note that these are just my opinion and I could be proven wrong. For now, this is my experience:

1. Performance wise, synthetic brushes are much superior to badger/boar/horse
    2. Assuming identical head geometry, open comb is never as comfortable as safety bar and provides no advantage whatsoever (except when shaving with at least few of days growth).
    3. DE blades can last as much as SE blades, or atleast close to it.
    4. In general, AC blades are NOT sharper than DE blades.
    5. Soap/cream is more important than the razors/blade combo (and brush, ofcourse).
    6. In general, modern razors perform better than vintage. Arguable reasons: tighter tolerances (with high end razors atleast), more extensive R&D, suited for modern (thinner) blades, "standing on the shoulders of giants"
    5. GEM blades are not very good and are the main reason why GEM SE razors are not more popular.

12. Missoni

Missoni Fellow Traveller

- FaTip quality is superb (at least on my OC and Gentile)
    - Palmolive & Arko are top tier soaps and have superior performance than any artisan soap I have used
    - A £5 Omega boar can be the best brush available
    - Chrome plating is better than stainless steel for razors (less grab & drag)
    - Some Artisan's are better at being entrepreneurs and marketers than soap makers and razor manufacturers
    - Feather blades are smooth and comfortable
    - German build quality is crap (at least on my Progress)
    - Perceived quality is different to actual quality
    - Forum members probably have similar character flaws
    - "And the dealer wants you thinking, That it's either black or white, Thank God it's not that simple"...

N_Architect, Boru62, Rowlers and 3 others like this.
  13. J 5

J 5 Active Member

I second all of this.

14. Dr Watson

Once the same "unpopular" opinion is expressed by 5+ individuals can it still be called unpopular? Synthetics outperforming naturals is way out in the lead :happy:

Rowlers, iamsms, J 5 and 4 others like this.
  15. morr

morr Legendary Member

Believe me, I wish there was a justified reason to own (and pay for) multiple badgers. There is not :D

Matsilainen, J 5 and TobyC like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice