Umbrellas

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
It looks a bit girly to me and all the reviews are from women. Still better than getting soaked though.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Does it really matter? If it keeps you dry and you're happy enough carrying it go for it. Umbrellas are more trouble than they're worth round here, it's so windy that when it does drop the locals fall over.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
To be honest if it was cheaper than a Mach 3 / Fusion / whatever then I probably would, I'm secure enough to just do what I'm comfortable with and damn what anyone else thinks. There's nothing wrong with transparent umbrellas but the fact is that I've only ever seen them carried by women, so you have a choice of either going with black or a golf umbrella, or getting the transparent one and making your peace with probably being the only guy you're going to see with one.

My point is that the fact that you're having to seek validation for your choice means that it might not be the right one for you. Please don't think I'm being a dick, I'm just trying to say that it's really up to you and you should care more about how you feel about it than strangers on the internet.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Umbrellas don't work for me. When they don't collapse in the wind, they get left on a bus. :rolleyes:
Although SWMBO claims it looks stupid in London (and so do I when wearing it, allegedly), I wear my ↪Tilley Hat when it rains.

aclf101

I have a little brolly that fits inside my case for when I am caught 'unprepared'; only comes out this time of year but the construction is very good - and sturdier than my Fox umbrella I had to bin last year.

https://londonundercover.co.uk/blog/?tag=made-in-england

May prove a bit costly but items like these you two options: buy very cheap and chuck out/replace regularly; or... buy well, buy once which I prefer if possible but may require some saving up!

dadant

Forum GOD!
To be honest if it was cheaper than a Mach 3 / Fusion / whatever then I probably would, I'm secure enough to just do what I'm comfortable with and damn what anyone else thinks. There's nothing wrong with transparent umbrellas but the fact is that I've only ever seen them carried by women, so you have a choice of either going with black or a golf umbrella, or getting the transparent one and making your peace with probably being the only guy you're going to see with one.

My point is that the fact that you're having to seek validation for your choice means that it might not be the right one for you. Please don't think I'm being a dick, I'm just trying to say that it's really up to you and you should care more about how you feel about it than strangers on the internet.
Oh boy perhaps I should have been clearer with my posts or you've taken things a bit too literally, what I was seeking wasn't validation of a choice I was hoping to make or even the one you concocted but simply whether members knew of a male or unisex equivalent of the transparent birdcage brolly OR knew of one that fitted my requirements. I knew full well that brolly is made for women as it is actually endorsed by the Queen and as you discovered purchased mostly by or for women but that initial attempt at humor seemed to fall a little flat and was interpreted as some sort of crisis of identity or confidence. However someone that has to affirm their apparent confidence probably has more of an issue but that really doesn't concern me, as it happened I found a more apt brolly soon after posting (above link) and later still I discovered the same company that produces the birdcage also make a larger equivalent for men which was nearer the answer I was seeking.

https://www.brollied.com/fulton-cle...gle_shopping&gclid=CPHM-bX_lNACFVQ_GwodePgD5A

Last edited:

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
A bit late to this discussion but that last one you posted is much more the manly article, @dadant. The first flurry were a bit metro at best. Personally speaking, I like black umbrellas with wooden shafts but unfortunately, I had a rather bad habit of leaving them lying around. Not working in the bank anymore nor engaging in most normal social formal activities, I rarely have the need for one. It's the old Tilley or flat cap for me usually.

dadant

Forum GOD!
It's easy G, my fave brolly is bust and I'm looking for a replacement and with the nights drawing in I'm walking the mutt in the near dark most of the time. I hate waterproofs so I'd rather be enveloped in clear plastic like Barbarella...camp enough for ya?

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Oh boy perhaps I should have been clearer with my posts or you've taken things a bit too literally, what I was seeking wasn't validation of a choice I was hoping to make or even the one you concocted but simply whether members knew of a male or unisex equivalent of the transparent birdcage brolly OR knew of one that fitted my requirements. I knew full well that brolly is made for women as it is actually endorsed by the Queen and as you discovered purchased mostly by or for women but that initial attempt at humor seemed to fall a little flat and was interpreted as some sort of crisis of identity or confidence. However someone that has to affirm their apparent confidence probably has more of an issue but that really doesn't concern me, as it happened I found a more apt brolly soon after posting (above link) and later still I discovered the same company that produces the birdcage also make a larger equivalent for men which was nearer the answer I was seeking.

https://www.brollied.com/fulton-cle...gle_shopping&gclid=CPHM-bX_lNACFVQ_GwodePgD5A
Erm, yeah. It's easy to misinterpret things in text that would have come across clearly in a face to face discussion. The choice I was referring to was purely the umbrella itself, I don't know what you inferred. However my understanding, which was obviously inaccurate, was that the question was "Can I have one of these or is it too girly?" rather than "I know this is girly is there a more masculine alternative?". Sorry if I've offended you.

Of the three links you posted, the last one is the best.