Tutorial; How to remove a knot by steaming it

Bauhaus

Guru
I'm planning to remove the knot from Vulfix 404 in this way and I want to replace it with a badger knot. Could you recommend the knot diameter which I should buy instead? Thanks!

R181

Grumpy old man
I'm planning to remove the knot from Vulfix 404 in this way and I want to replace it with a badger knot. Could you recommend the knot diameter which I should buy instead? Thanks!
IIRC, the size of a knot is the diameter of the glue plug. It is recommended that the replacement knot size be about 1mm to 1.5mm smaller than the diameter of the hole in the handle. Knots bulge out after the glue plug and this avoids a too tight a fit of the knot in the handle. A too tight a knot fit could affect knot performance and/or over time as the knot might swell causing the handle to crack.

This is what Maggards have to say about their replacement knot sizing.

Bob

Bauhaus

Guru
IIRC, the size of a knot is the diameter of the glue plug. It is recommended that the replacement knot size be about 1mm to 1.5mm smaller than the diameter of the hole in the handle. Knots bulge out after the glue plug and this avoids a too tight a fit of the knot in the handle. A too tight a knot fit could affect knot performance and/or over time as the knot might swell causing the handle to crack.

Bob
Thank you, Bob!

I hope I won't break the handle and everything will be fine.

Bauhaus

Guru
So, yesterday I removed the knot. After 1 hour of steaming, the knot was finally out (not as smooth as I expected but anyway).

vulfix.jpg

vuf.jpg