Tutorial - How to Reknot

Bloodinmysuds

I've broken a vintage brush handle by following someone's advice of using a vise to crush the brush to remove it from the handle. Broke chunk off the handle. Now I cut brush as close to handle as possible with heavy scissors then sand with Dremel to flatten whats left. This makes it easier to start drilling out the rest of the brush. I start with brad point drill bit which cuts into the hair better then graduate to a Forstner bit just a bit smaller than size of brush socket. Carefully holding the handle and using a drill press worked well. Final clean out with Dremel sanding head. I like a heavy handle so filled hollow handle with old bolts then jammed in pieces of foam insulation to limit amount of epoxy needed to fill handle. After epoxy dries I test fit new brush for loft and adjust with coins if 3 brushes.JPGneeded. Silicone glue is holding so far to glue in brush and gives me options if I don't like the loft.

TobyC

Patriot
It isn't nearly as daunting as you may imagine. Equipment wise you only need a Dremmel type tool, a couple of drill bits, sanding drums and a Dremmel 115 bit. Most of that usually comes with the dremmel anyway.
Yep, it ain't rocket surgery. You have a handle and a pre made knot, so all you have to be is a part swapper, not an engineer. Like pickin yer nose, get that booger outa there, one piece or ten, doesn't matter.

adrian ivanovici

Forum GOD!
After drilling the life out of it I glued the thread with gel super glue, added a coin for more weight and a washer for sealing.

I took out my 3 24mm threaded knots to see what is best for the handle size.

Came to conclusion that black badger works best.
I added a washer to the top of the thread that squeezes tight on the handle, leaving no room for water to get in.

Will put it to good use tonight.

FB_IMG_1687980632250.jpg
FB_IMG_1687980635255.jpg
FB_IMG_1687980637770.jpg
FB_IMG_1687980640871.jpg
FB_IMG_1687980644126.jpg

Grarea

Forum Plod
Now, this is good timing.
I have just gone back to my shavemac and I am finding it could do with bring a bit firmer.
I hadn't thought of this.

adrian ivanovici

Forum GOD!
Another successful reknoting using the boiling method.
The yaqi knot had a glue bump of 6-7mm above the end of the handle.
Luckily I had a Boti 24 knot in my drawer.
I don't know what happened to yaqi. They used to knot them right.
20240404_204202.jpg

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
Today i got around to re-knotting my old brushes. They were not in great condition and i had a chipped Muhle handle that i could use for one of them.
Wk 14 Re knots.jpg

1. The Butterscotch Culmak is fitted with a Muhle Classic 23mm, i saved it from a chipped handle, it was a nightmare to get out and i had to totally destroy the handle to safely remove the knot, broke my heart really - destroying it.
The Original knot was a nightmare to get out, i cut it down and drilled it out with a 6mm drill, then a 13mm wood drill, eventually cleaning the remnants carefully with the Dremel.

2. The Vulfix got a new 22mm Silvertip synth i purchased from Andrew @Shaversdelight a knot i have tried and quite like. The old knot just pulled out in one piece and the old glue came out all together. Spot on.

3. The Culmak Junior was as much a pain to remove as its bigger brother, the glue was like Bell metal. I used the same technique to get it out and refitted a new 21mm Silvertip synth from Andrew.

Overall i am very happy with them.

My Chipped Duke 2 in Best badger has been given a reprieve, i will just use it as a travel brush.

TobyC

Patriot
Today i got around to re-knotting my old brushes. They were not in great condition and i had a chipped Muhle handle that i could use for one of them.
View attachment 149045
1. The Butterscotch Culmak is fitted with a Muhle Classic 23mm, i saved it from a chipped handle, it was a nightmare to get out and i had to totally destroy the handle to safely remove the knot, broke my heart really - destroying it.
The Original knot was a nightmare to get out, i cut it down and drilled it out with a 6mm drill, then a 13mm wood drill, eventually cleaning the remnants carefully with the Dremel.

2. The Vulfix got a new 22mm Silvertip synth i purchased from Andrew @Shaversdelight a knot i have tried and quite like. The old knot just pulled out in one piece and the old glue came out all together. Spot on.

3. The Culmak Junior was as much a pain to remove as its bigger brother, the glue was like Bell metal. I used the same technique to get it out and refitted a new 21mm Silvertip synth from Andrew.

Overall i am very happy with them.

My Chipped Duke 2 in Best badger has been given a reprieve, i will just use it as a travel brush.
The Culmak piggy union thugs will visit you shortly.

1712322292360.png