trying out the de blades in my sampler pack

saj1985

Über Member
hey people so i thought instead of creating a thread dedicated to a specific brand de blade everytime i try one out, i thought it would make more sense just to create a main thread with all my posts sharing my experiences, thoughts and opinions on the de blades i've just tried out

just to give you an idea some blades i've already tried the top off my head are the following, feather, gillette nacets, wilkinson swords, astra sp's, derby premium and a few more prior to getting this sample pack...

now just want to start by saying even though i've had the sampler pack for a while i just kept finding myself going back to using the gillette nacets even though i had over a hundred and thirty blades to try out lol,
suppose it just goes to show how highly i rate the gillette nacets

anyways so the first blade i tried is the voskhod, honestly im so disappointed in this blade,
i heard many good things on youtube and forums about these blades in particular so was kinda gutted when i found them to about average and nothing special whatsoever but saying that i've read mixed reports and some blades being inconsistent so God knows what to think lol

second blade is the BIC Chrome Platinum, very impressed with this blade, sharp and smooth, i rate it up there with my favourite blade gillette nacets and im having difficulty picking a winner between the two tbh

i did try out the voskhod in the gillette slim adjustable and the bic in the henson medium razors,
but to make it fair from now on i'll test every blade in the henson medium de razor,
well number one because i love the razor but also because it has the angle built in so i suppose it will make testing the blades especially against the grain easier as im a head shaver

so i'll also be using arko shaving sticks too as i love this stuff and yes for the record i dont find anything unpleasant about the smell lol!

shaving brush will be my pearl synthetic 30mm knot

so yea next shave will be with the voskhod in the henson razor then from there onwards i'll try out another brand de blade :)

sampler pack pic.jpg

ScuddyHewson

Yaikes, that is a a lot of shaves. How many shaves / blade do you usually do? And how many shaves / week? That sample pack might take a year!

Anyway, make sure you include the Gillette Perma-Sharp (brown box) and the Gillette Platinum (the light blue box, and not the super platinum)

Also, if you like the Nacets you might find the Gillette Rubie pleasant. I find those two blades kind of similar with the Rubie performing better in a slant and the Nacet performing better in a milder razor.

saj1985

Über Member
Yaikes, that is a a lot of shaves. How many shaves / blade do you usually do? And how many shaves / week? That sample pack might take a year!

Anyway, make sure you include the Gillette Perma-Sharp (brown box) and the Gillette Platinum (the light blue box, and not the super platinum)

Also, if you like the Nacets you might find the Gillette Rubie pleasant. I find those two blades kind of similar with the Rubie performing better in a slant and the Nacet performing better in a milder razor.
Yea I probably shave a few times a week so will take some time to go through them tbh lol

Yea looking forward to trying the rubies, they cost nearly double the amount as the nacets, not sure why though tbh

saj1985

Über Member
If I can find it I'll try to take pics of the de razor blade before and after the shave with my digital microscope 👍💯🔥🪒

saj1985

Über Member
so today i gave the treet black beauty ago, honestly after the first stroke i thought maybe im onto something but the more i used it the more i realised its not sharp enough and the smoothness is a bit meh to be honest, i'd rate it as an average blade at best as it caused me some irritation tbh but that was only whilst shaving, feels okay now, would i personally get a 100 of these blades? honest answer is no

1624917253043.jpg

Vacumatic

Dogged
Will watch this thread with interest, I agree your comments on the Treet blade for starters.

Did you buy the Cien after shave products in the UK? My local, smallish. Lidl doesn't stock them but I am generally a fan of their own band products, would you recommend the after shave?

saj1985

Über Member
Will watch this thread with interest, I agree your comments on the Treet blade for starters.

Did you buy the Cien after shave products in the UK? My local, smallish. Lidl doesn't stock them but I am generally a fan of their own band products, would you recommend the after shave?
Yea I'm in brum got a couple of lidls near me tbh most the time theyve got stock but they sell pretty quick as they must be on demand

Yea I really like them and tbh they're hard to beat at that price point too

Their aftershave balm is really good, like the nivea aftershave balm imo

DJGil

I tried the Gillette nacets for the first time today and I must say I was impressed. Sharp and smooth. I used it in my karve, with the D plate. I did manage to cut myself, partly because of the smoothness lulling me into a false sense of security and the fact I was using Stirling glacial wintergreen soap. I love how cold it feels but you do lose a bit of skin sensitivity. I've heard that the rubies are good but which are best to try as there seems to be a a plus version as well.

Smiffy

Veteran
As like most things in life blades are subject to the individual.
what’s good for one man might not be good for another.

Very true, and also one blade in a particular razor may not suit a different razor.

I had read good comments on the Treet Carbon, I had thought it would go three shaves but one shave and it was deep sixed.

saj1985

Über Member
I tried the Gillette nacets for the first time today and I must say I was impressed. Sharp and smooth. I used it in my karve, with the D plate. I did manage to cut myself, partly because of the smoothness lulling me into a false sense of security and the fact I was using Stirling glacial wintergreen soap. I love how cold it feels but you do lose a bit of skin sensitivity. I've heard that the rubies are good but which are best to try as there seems to be a a plus version as well.
ive not tried the rubies yet, got one in my sampler pack, couldnt ustify the price different which is almost double compared to the nacets and from what ive read they seem to be somewhat similar, some like the nacets better and some like the rubies better, either way a lot of people rate them as sharp and smooth

DJGil

ive not tried the rubies yet, got one in my sampler pack, couldnt ustify the price different which is almost double compared to the nacets and from what ive read they seem to be somewhat similar, some like the nacets better and some like the rubies better, either way a lot of people rate them as sharp and smooth
I've ordered a tuck from eBay but you're right they are expensive. When I was reading about the nacets I found that a lot of people were talking about minoras in the same glowing terms as the nacets. Needless to say I've ordered some to see for myself, also the price is similar to the nacets.

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
As mentioned in a dedicated Treet thread, these are meant to be used once only and then binned.

Cheers

steve
I’ve used a Treet more than once before but for some reason I usually do a one and done with em.
huh that’s funny. I didn’t know it was a thing.

I am an everyday shaver and I just blow em off and let air dry what I don’t get

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I’ve used a Treet more than once before but for some reason I usually do a one and done with em.
huh that’s funny. I didn’t know it was a thing.

I am an everyday shaver and I just blow em off and let air dry what I don’t get
Now that I think about it this week was the first time I’ve used one more than once.