Triumph Stag Memory Cars

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I watched a TV movie last night where a female doctor drove a Triumph Stag . This was a very special car for her because of a former spouse, who died, had gifted it to her before they married. They used it extensivily and as a daily driver, even when their first child was born. Anyway, The movie reminded me of the special connection that can be had when a vehicle is kept going over decades where so many memories are collected.

Also, I was not familar with this Triumph model. If you had one or experienced one, please post your memories. Or, memories of another special car. I have a '99 Tahoe with 285k miles that the older grandchildren remember riding it and sometimes a camping/canoe hauler.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
That brings back memories, but very hazy ones. Never owned one nor did I ever drive or ride in one. I think a friend’s parents owned one. At that time my car of choice was a 1966 MG B; white with red leather upholstery. The red upholstery was a real bummer as the red dye would bleed on to the seat of your trousers and back of your shirt in the summer if you perspired in the least; draped a beach towel over each seat.

Vacumatic

Testy
There was some issue with the Stag to do with head gaskets and overheating, perhaps the heads warping or boiling its radiator due to overheating. As with Rufus I had an MGB, mine was a little later being 1970. I was living in Jardines Lookout in Hong Kong and the mechanics there were brilliant with the car, sorry to say that they had plenty of practice. I gave it up in favour of public transport when parking became impossible, literally you could not park anywhere.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
There was some issue with the Stag to do with head gaskets and overheating, perhaps the heads warping or boiling its radiator due to overheating. As with Rufus I had an MGB, mine was a little later being 1970. I was living in Jardines Lookout in Hong Kong and the mechanics there were brilliant with the car, sorry to say that they had plenty of practice. I gave it up in favour of public transport when parking became impossible, literally you could not park anywhere.
We’ll, isn’t it a small world? At that time I was living on Severn Road, The Peak in HK. I can’t remember where I had my MGB serviced, however.

Vacumatic

Testy
We’ll, isn’t it a small world? At that time I was living on Severn Road, The Peak in HK. I can’t remember where I had my MGB serviced, however.

Good grief.

My first flat was on Conduit Road on mid levels, there was an excellent garage that worked on my car at the bottom of Conduit road. I stayed on that road for the first year and then moved to Boyce Road in Jardines Lookout. By coincidence I was looking at the Google Maps image of the the road this weekend and my flat was up for sale at £4.7m, crazy money. I didn't go up the Peak so much although I had some Jardine friends in Stewart Terrace, these were very old style apartments and had resident cooks and staff, and some others in Strawberry (something, I cannot remember if it was Hill/plaza/villas) We had a good time in Hong Kong, work was good, living was easy and weekends at the Cricket Club on Wong Nei Chong Gap road suited me very well. This was about the time when the MTR was just getting up and running.

Last edited:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Good grief.

My first flat was on Conduit Road on mid levels, there was an excellent garage that worked on my car at the bottom of Conduit road. I stayed on that road for the first year and then moved to Boyce Road in Jardines Lookout. By coincidence I was looking at the Google Maps image of the the road this weekend and my flat was up for sale at £4.7m, crazy money. I didn't go up the Peak so much although I had some Jardine friends in Stewart Terrace, these were very old style apartments and had resident cooks and staff, and some others in Strawberry (something, I cannot remember if it was Hill/plaza/villas) We had a good time in Hong Kong, work was good, living was easy and weekends at the Cricket Club on Wong Neil Chong Gap road suited me very well. This was about the time when the MTR was just getting up and running.
Yes, those were the days. I was conceived and born in Hong Kong (Queen Mary Hospital). We lived in the Repulse Bay Hotel for a few years before departing the colony. We returned in the mid-60s until the early 70s, when we lived on Severn Road; unfortunately our house had to be demolished following a typhoon and was redeveloped as luxury flats. I note that not long ago Severn Road had the dubious honour of being the most expensive residential street in the world, but that certainly wasn’t the case during my time there. I spent most weekends at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club or at the Shek O Country Club and the Cricket Club from time-to-time. I still have my “Our Hong Kong Tie”, a memento of the Cultural Revolution, and the Delta 1997 LE fountain pen “The Return to China”. Unforgettable days.