Top 5 razors in my den

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Chris I was torn between the Guerilla and Mamba but prefer the looks of the Mamba and love the Oristo. The fat handle on the Guerilla really puts me off. Look forward to receiving the Mamba now as I have similar taste to you.
The Mamba was a grower for me, initially I thought it too mild but you just need to find the angle. Find it and hold it and it does a great job with comfort to rival the PILS. I found it liked a steeper angle than I usually use owing to the blade curvature. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on it vs the Oristo. The Guerrilla handle is not my favourite aesthetically and while it’s comfortable to use I wish they’d offered a 13mm diameter one with the same style. Most of my three piece razors end up making friends with an iKon Bulldog handle.

Pils, yes; Mamba, makes sense; Guerrilla, I see a pattern here; Tech, sure. And then boom, Fatip OC! The only of your five I don’t have, nor have I ever tried one, but it’s significantly more aggressive than your other four, ne pas?
It is quite a step up and TBH I don’t use it much now, but for a solid brass razor it deserves to be in my top 5 and it gives a great shave albeit one requiring more care than my usual choices.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Out of the limited number of razors I've tried my favourites are

Rockwell 6C
EJ DE89
Gillette Tech

I love the finish on my Ikon Deluxe OC but it's a bit too much for daily use.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Avnish, have you never tried an Asylum RX (better if polished)? I find it slightly more efficient than the Cobra Classic (sold).
Yep loved it for the first few shaves, then started rattling and was more harsh than the short comb ATT SE2. Hated it after that. What was claimed to be a high precision piece became a child's rattle and was sold on. The Cobra Classic is the pinnacle of SE smoothness and efficiency for me.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I forgot to mention the EJ Barley Chatsworth. The heavier handle married to the EJ89 head provides an exceptional shave. You feel the blade yet it doesn't feel rough or overly aggressive.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I forgot to mention the EJ Barley Chatsworth. The heavier handle married to the EJ89 head provides an exceptional shave. You feel the blade yet it doesn't feel rough or overly aggressive.
I use my EJ head with a stainless handle it shaves great and looks better.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I use my EJ head with a stainless handle it shaves great and looks better.
Fair play were talking about the barley Chatsworth handle that has a bulbous bottom end and slimmer neck line right? Not seen a better looking handle (YMMV) :)

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Fair play were talking about the barley Chatsworth handle that has a bulbous bottom end and slimmer neck line right? Not seen a better looking handle (YMMV) :)
I meant better than the stock handle mine came with, apologies for any confusion. The barley handle does look good but not exactly my cup of tea.

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
In order;
Rocca R96.
Supply SE V2.0 - Matte black.
ER 1912 from a recent PIF...

Er... That's it, less a Gillette Guard which I was gifted and perhaps wouldn't buy again unless in a tight spot (frankly, unforeseeable). I had a good time selling off a load of razors a good while back and have not regretted that decision. The Rocca does all I need it to and it would only likely be succeeded by a Pils 104NE, on looks alone.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Cobra Classic
Blackland Sabre L1 /2
Colonial Razors General, Brass
Ever-Ready jewel (Streamline)
Ever-Ready 1912 Sun Ray

SE razor's in that order, my straight's are another thing altogether :) P.

Last edited: