Too much draw on my strop?

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Hi gentlemen,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I have one strop at the moment that was so kindly gifted to me a year ago by @Salv
I cherish this strop and it has been looked after well if I say so myself.
Every time I use it I always vigorously rub the palm of my hand on it and I am proud to announce it has no nicks.
As of late I have found more drag while stropping? Am I right in thinking this should not be the case? I would have thought it should become smoother/less resistant?
Is there any treatment you an apply to it?

I managed to ruin an edge the other day and my thinking is that it occurred due the fact that the dynamics of the strop has changed (if that makes sense) and my technique has not taken this into account. A razor is definitely not as frictionless over the strop as it used to be and I used too much pressure on the one I ruined.

Here are some pics:
My strop .jpg
My Strop 2.jpg

Is it time to look for an upgrade and use this one as my secondary strop?

Your thoughts as always will be much appreciated.
Wayne.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Wayne, that's a difficult one, strops usually become more slick overtime, you could try placing a few sheets of paper kitchen towel over the strop then with a hot iron go over it a few times, then leave the strop in your living room for a few days to dry a little or place close to the radiator, it could well have absorbed moisture from being in the bathroom that would definitely alter the draw dry it out more, let me know how you get on.

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Wayne, that's a difficult one, strops usually become more slick overtime, you could try placing a few sheets of paper kitchen towel over the strop then with a hot iron go over it a few times, then leave the strop in your living room for a few days to dry a little or place close to the radiator, it could well have absorbed moisture from being in the bathroom that would definitely alter the draw dry it out more, let me know how you get on.
Thank you for your reply Jamie, its much appreciated.
I shall give your advice a go this evening and let you know how I get on with it.
Cheers. :cheers:

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Same thing happened to an old Dovo strop I had, ended up giving it a light sanding which restored it to its former glory... Perhaps something to consider as a last resort?
Thanks James for the advice. I shall try the method that Jamie suggested and then if all else fails I will give it a light sanding.

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Having taken @JamieM advice over the weekend I am extremely pleased to report it has done the trick. Having ironed it under some kitchen towel and allowed to dry from Friday evening, I used the strop this morning and "What A Difference."
It feels like a different strop. It is much better. The slickness is back.
Thank you Jamie for your advice, its worked a treat. :okay:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Having taken @JamieM advice over the weekend I am extremely pleased to report it has done the trick. Having ironed it under some kitchen towel and allowed to dry from Friday evening, I used the strop this morning and "What A Difference."
It feels like a different strop. It is much better. The slickness is back.
Thank you Jamie for your advice, its worked a treat. :okay:
Wayne,

Excellent result.:)