To scuttle, or not to scuttle? That is the question.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
UKRob, I wonder if you would expand on that for a noob
There was an element of tongue in cheek as I know that many experienced shavers do three or even four passes. However, for me, with a moderately heavy beard, I’ve found that two passes plus a bit of buffing is all that’s required for a smooth and comfortable finish.

I’ve used just about every type of razor available including straights, single edge, double edge, cartridge - old blades and new blades and find that once you establish the right angle for a particular razor, two passes is adequate.

As I no longer need to shave every day my go to razors are the Colonel and Mongoose - both single edge 50mm blades, and one of my straight razors every now and then. After two passes, I don’t see much of a difference between them. However, the after shave feeling seems to me to be different when compared to a double edge blade. It’s difficult to explain as I get just as close a shave with SE as I do with DE and don’t notice a great difference in terms of ‘burn’ when I apply aftershave, but overall the SE leaves me feeling more comfortable.

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
There was an element of tongue in cheek as I know that many experienced shavers do three or even four passes. However, for me, with a moderately heavy beard, I’ve found that two passes plus a bit of buffing is all that’s required for a smooth and comfortable finish.

I’ve used just about every type of razor available including straights, single edge, double edge, cartridge - old blades and new blades and find that once you establish the right angle for a particular razor, two passes is adequate.

As I no longer need to shave every day my go to razors are the Colonel and Mongoose - both single edge 50mm blades, and one of my straight razors every now and then. After two passes, I don’t see much of a difference between them. However, the after shave feeling seems to me to be different when compared to a double edge blade. It’s difficult to explain as I get just as close a shave with SE as I do with DE and don’t notice a great difference in terms of ‘burn’ when I apply aftershave, but overall the SE leaves me feeling more comfortable.
Thanks for that Rob. I obviously missed the “tongue in cheek” and took it too literally.
I was wondering whether you were starting across the grain for the first pass LOL.

I have consistently been using 3 passes, though I feel I could really get away with 2, then a spot check /buff,
but, to be honest, I need the practice, so I’ll stick with 3 and trying to get my stumpy little arms into contorted positions, even though, I know, I’ll still need the buff for three or four spots.

Thank you for clarifying

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I had been of the opinion that I didn't need a scuttle. That it was overkill. Then I bought the Crown King Travel Scuttle and used it last winter. I became hooked. It's been a long hot summer, and it seems summer will continue at least for another few days here on the East Coast. But once the cold weather sets it, I'll be using it on a regular basis. There is nothing like warm lather on a cold chilly morning. Even though I'll be rinsing off with ice cold water. The contrast is actually very nice. And i like that it won't break if I happen to drop it.

George.A

Guru
I might get the Travel version from Crown King, I like that it comes with the glove and that it doesn't break into several pieces if I drop it by mistake :).

One question on the Travel version: does the plug stay in tightly there? In my ceramic version it kind of pops out where I fill it with hot water so it's a bit annoying...

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
I might get the Travel version from Crown King, I like that it comes with the glove and that it doesn't break into several pieces if I drop it by mistake :).

One question on the Travel version: does the plug stay in tightly there? In my ceramic version it kind of pops out where I fill it with hot water so it's a bit annoying...
Travel version sounds interesting, do you know the diameter?

No worries, found it - 4”

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1881

I like mixing my creams in a bowl but I face lather my soaps.

That being said, I always appreciate when I see someone with a good variety of scuttles.

I prefer it to be low and wide. You can call me Captain Choice Ceramic.

George.A

Guru
As far as I know, the travel version has exactly the same shape as the ceramic one. I found the diameter of the ceramic to be okish. It's wide enough, just that it narrows quite fast towards the base, making it not ideal for large brushes. As with everything YMMW and all :).

S

Steve Bowles

Neither use nor ornament. Say more trouble than it's worth.

I always liked the look of the Crabtree and Evelyn one. Nostalgic and interesting..likely I'd use it once then it would end up not getting used.
Right I better go and empty my chamber pot..this chasing nostalgia has got right out of hand...

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!

I find the plug stays put for me. I don't have the ceramic version but have never seen the travel plug pop out. I have read that some people have seen their plugs actually get pushed in, thereby getting stuck inside. I'm just mindful when filling with hot tap water that I don't push the plug too hard but enough so it is snug. Works for me. My son likes to use it as well.

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
I find the plug stays put for me. I don't have the ceramic version but have never seen the travel plug pop out. I have read that some people have seen their plugs actually get pushed in, thereby getting stuck inside. I'm just mindful when filling with hot tap water that I don't push the plug too hard but enough so it is snug. Works for me. My son likes to use it as well.
You are very kind, letting your son use the hot tap water.