TI bevel reset advice

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I can hone a razor. And Im just now figuring out how to sharpen a knife. My issue with knives is they never feel sharp enough to me when testing. I guess that's the issue with learning razors before knives.
Ha! I find this. I sharpen my pocket knives and I am never happy. When I lend them to others, they always comment as t how "razor" sharp they are.. Knowing how sharp razors are alters your perspective...

Nisse

Old geezer
Just for fun I reset bevel on my Gong razor using 3 layers of tape changing angle from 13,8 to 17,2. And resulting shave felt much better, more comfy, easier to find the right technique. Was it because of the new angle? Maybe, or could have been that I just paid more attention honing resulting in an overall better edge. Will stay on the Gong razor to check how the 17,2 edge will hold, was not impressed with the 13,8.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Just for fun I reset bevel on my Gong razor using 3 layers of tape changing angle from 13,8 to 17,2. And resulting shave felt much better, more comfy, easier to find the right technique. Was it because of the new angle? Maybe, or could have been that I just paid more attention honing resulting in an overall better edge. Will stay on the Gong razor to check how it 17,2 edge will hol, was not impressed with the 13,8.
You could have achieved a similar result by not taping your razor, then on the very last finishing stone use three layers of tape, creating a 17.2-degree micro bevel.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Just for fun I reset bevel on my Gong razor using 3 layers of tape changing angle from 13,8 to 17,2. And resulting shave felt much better, more comfy, easier to find the right technique. Was it because of the new angle? Maybe, or could have been that I just paid more attention honing resulting in an overall better edge. Will stay on the Gong razor to check how the 17,2 edge will hold, was not impressed with the 13,8.
It could be that the original angle was not quite meeting and adding the layers of tape corrected this. I’ve used lots of old and modern razors where the angles vary tremendously and don’t think I would be able to differentiate between a 14 as opposed to 17 degree angle. I have noticed that hollow ground razors seem to be more effective than near wedges but would struggle to try and explain just why this is.

You could have achieved a similar result by not taping your razor, then on the very last finishing stone use three layers of tape, creating a 17.2-degree micro bevel.
Micro bevels can be used to sharpen plane irons & chisels but I was unaware you could use them to hone a razor. Interesting! Although probably not necessary I would think. I'm not sure there would be a benefit other than speed up the honing process or possibly make the edge last longer?

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Micro bevels can be used to sharpen plane irons & chisels but I was unaware you could use them to hone a razor. Interesting! Although probably not necessary I would think. I'm not sure there would be a benefit other than speed up the honing process or possibly make the edge last longer?
Yes, it does work give it a go, just like the Pyramid method I do on occasion use it, I have no idea why the Pyramid method works but it does.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Yes. It worked, but was more hassle - with the metal paste and strops etc - than the way I do it now and I'd have to repeat it often enough to feel as comfortable with it as I do my current methods - by "simple" he means "cheap".

SOS (I forget his real name) is interesting and thought provoking - I've even done his "finish on a 325 grit diamond plate" process.

Nisse

Old geezer
I like his approach, walking the talk, writing that my 1000/6000 King wetstone is crappy when used on the 6000 side edge leading but just fine edge trailing, then backing up this statement with pics