Thinking of buying a PILS

FSword

Forum GOD!
I'm not questioning that Pils can be used for many days growth (@Nishy mentioned that in an earlier post as well), just how you would compare it for similar days growth to the Blackbird.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I'm not questioning that Pils can be used for many days growth (@Nishy mentioned that in an earlier post as well), just how you would compare it for similar days growth to the Blackbird.
The Blackbird and PILS are equally direct in their manner of cutting. Both take a short time to fully appreciate the optimum cutting angle. Without the optimum angle, the PILS will cause less irritation. The PILS is head heavy, the Blackbird is balanced toward the middle of the handle (depending on handle length). Blackbird and PILS are both superb razors. Light pressure can be used with the PILS if you really want, lighter pressure with the Blackbird. You really can't go wrong with either razor.

In black and white I don't find one to be more efficient than the other nor do I find one to cut 'deeper' or have longer period of re-growth.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve done four or five, it’s unusual that I leave it that long without shaving but it hammered through the stubble no problem.

motto

Forum GOD!
TheTimeless .95 is more aggressive and comes with noticeable more bladefeel than the Pils. Also the shaving angle is wider. Perfect for a certain amount of grow.
The Pils runs in narrower window regarding angle but if you hit it the shave is just smooth and close.

Last edited:

FSword

Forum GOD!
TheTimeless .95 is more aggressive and comes with noticeable more bladefeel than the Pils. Also the shaving angle is wider. Perfect for a certain amount of grow.
The Pils runs in narrower window regarding angle but if you hit it the shave is just smooth and close.
So which angle is that (for Pils)? I mean everybody says that Pils requires a specific angle but none seems to reveal it :) Ok perhaps someone did, I read the whole thread but maybe I missed it. My understanding is that we must be talking about a pretty shallow angle, although I've also read that you can play a bit depending if you want milder or more aggressive behavior.

S

Steve Bowles

I found that it's pretty lenient as far as angles go. If it's not perpendicular to your face, or parallel, it'll shave.

motto

Forum GOD!
While most razor cut well around 30 degrees (angle between skin and razor handle), my experience with the Pils is that you need to adjust the angle to get a close shave. I would say go 35 degrees or a bit more.
The hole thing with the angle actually comes from the geometry of the head; while most razors bend the blade downwards, the blade lies almost flat in the Pils head. This difference you need to compensate with your technique.

So which angle is that (for Pils)? I mean everybody says that Pils requires a specific angle but none seems to reveal it :) Ok perhaps someone did, I read the whole thread but maybe I missed it. My understanding is that we must be talking about a pretty shallow angle, although I've also read that you can play a bit depending if you want milder or more aggressive behavior.

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
I seem to have randomly fallen down the rabbit hole today when it comes to this razor. Suddenly I need one, having had one in the past and loved it, not sure why I sold.

101NE I've got as far as adding to basket!