Thinking about getting a Shavemac

Southbound

Forum GOD!
I am looking into getting maybe a Shavemac do1 3 band. I was thinking of getting a 23x50mm. What I was wandering if these brushes have glue bumps? Glue bumps will make a knot shorter by taking up space from the effective free loft.

Thanks,
Mike

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I am looking into getting maybe a Shavemac do1 3 band. I was thinking of getting a 23x50mm. What I was wandering if these brushes have glue bumps? Glue bumps will make a knot shorter by taking up space from the effective free loft.

Thanks,
Mike
I've had a few Shavemac's and glue bumps have never been an issue, they are truly amazing brushes and worth every penny. Go for it! :) P.

Southbound

Forum GOD!
I've had a few Shavemac's and glue bumps have never been an issue, they are truly amazing brushes and worth every penny. Go for it! :) P.
I have read that they are amazing brushes. I though about getting do1
/2 band, but I have read that they can be quite stiff, so if I do I will get a do1 3 band. So all loft above the handle is effective loft?

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I have read that they are amazing brushes. I though about getting do1
/2 band, but I have read that they can be quite stiff, so if I do I will get a do1 3 band. So all loft above the handle is effective loft?
Yes, if you don't want it so stif the D01 3 band would be the next on down in levels of stiffness and in my experience all the loft above the handle is effective loft. P.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
No glue bump but never enjoyed the D01 3 bands I find them quite spikey on the face. I prefer the 2 bands (although I know it is the same knot set lower/hiding a band) and use them till they relax. This can be many many uses depending on loft and width.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yep I agree with Paul unless your willing to spend time with the do1 2 band, as majority will initially find it scritchy, at the measurements you require.

Southbound

Forum GOD!
Maybe a two band silvertip would be the way to go if you don't like scritchy tips!
That's the one I went for the last time, I didn't like the feel of the D01. P. @Southbound
So the do1 3 band has scritchy tips compared to the 2 band?

I want something with a little splay when broken in, but not to much splay.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
So the do1 3 band has scritchy tips compared to the 2 band?

I want something with a little splay when broken in, but not to much splay.
The Two band silvertip has softer tips like the Three band but has less splay than the Three band Silvertip and both have softer tips out of the box than any of the D01s, so I would recommend the Two band Silvertip but the choice is totaly yours. :) P.
Edit: to answer your question, yes the 3band D01 has scritchy tips untill fully broken in however the 2 band Silvertip does not. This would be my choice.

Last edited:

Southbound

Forum GOD!
Since there is no glue bump, and I am glad, I may go 48*23mm do1/3band?

Concerning the knot, I have read these are densely packed knots so would a 23mm do1 be a lather hog?Meaning would it act to be a larger knot compared to another badger brush? Right now I use a vulfix 2235 best badger(52*23mm) and it's very floppy. I want something that has decent flow through, with some backbone, and not too floppy.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Since there is no glue bump, and I am glad, I may go 48*23mm do1/3band?

Concerning the knot, I have read these are densely packed knots so would a 23mm do1 be a lather hog?Meaning would it act to be a larger knot compared to another badger brush? Right now I use a vulfix 2235 best badger(52*23mm) and it's very floppy. I want something that has decent flow through, with some backbone, and not too floppy.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
If you are prepared to put up with quite a scritchy brush untill fully broken in then a D01 be it a 2 or 3 band would give you lots of backbone, however if you require medium backbone but with soft tips out of the box then I would say get a 2 band Silvertip
The D01 two band is very dense and the D01 3 band slightly less so but both are scritchy and require quite a bit of use to give you soft tips like the non D01 Silvertips be it 2 or 3 band, you can find all this information on the Shavemac site. P.