The year is 2030. What you driving: EV, Diesel or Gasoline power?

D

Deleted member 476

I live in Alberta, Canada, home of the Canadian Oilsands (also known as Tar sands to eco-terrorists), and the third largest oil reserves in the world. How long do you think it'll be till petrol heads will have to give up the roar of a petroleum powered vehicle? 10 years, 20 years, 50 years, 200 years?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I am still thinking about what to get next, would be petrol. Current Diesel which is ok and delivers fairly good consumption. But it’s that diesel smell that does me. Not sure I’m ready for electric. My mate owns a MG dealership and electric is taking off and he’s selling at a steady rate. For me as well the range isn’t quite there yet. I wouldn’t get to Southampton and back on a full charge, thats 300 miles.

I have looked for a while at getting an Abarth 595, the 180 bhp one. Biggest down is the size, just feel it’s a bit small. Current front runner A Class, only the SE so ’basic‘ form. Think I’ll wait for my new role to fully kick in and I’m settled then decide.

p.b

Forum GOD!
In the year 2030 no one will be driving a diesel passenger car (not a new one anyway) in Europe.
I’ve already leased a FHEV (a few years ago now) and I liked that, and next year I’ll probably get my first PHEV, with a range of 30miles in electric mode I’ll be able to commute without using petrol

Vacumatic

Testy
I have been thinking about this for myself, for the past few years I have had BMW deisels, in terms of mileage I regularly get 60 mpg, I used to do around 70,000 in two years and then offer them to family and friends, they cover 250,000 miles without the engines being touched apart from regular oil changes. That to me is a good car and I am disappointed that my diesel choices won't be around.

My current car is a petrol Golf with a supercharger and a turbocharger, the car gets poor mileage, maybe 30-35 and the engine has a reputation for catastrophic failure at under 50,000 , but it is a clean engine, low emissions, but a bad car.

I talk to people in the trade and they say that Kia electrics are the best right now but to wait not for the next generation of EVs but the one after that. By that time the infrastructure of a charging network may have improved. A friend has an electric Volvo, took him 11 hours to cover 300 miles recently because charging stations were occupied or out of use, his wife insisted that the car was sold as soon as they got back home, having lost a complete day of her Covid breakout vacation, he bought a diesel A6.

I can imagine that by 2030 we will be driving a Chinese made electric SUV with a European badge and an Eco home charging system

I just hope that I can press a button on the dash that plays the soundtrack of a 68 Mustang instead of the whine of an electric motor.

What happened to hydrogen, I drove a test BMW hydrogen powered 5 series in Germany and it was great, clean, green, powerful and minimal moving parts.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
The death knell of the gas engine car will be when they make an all electric car with the range of a gas powered car at a cost equal to a gas powered car and have charging stations as plentiful and quick to charge as current gas service stations are. That will be sooner than later I'm thinking at the rate things are going. For me right now because of the way I use a car and where I live the answer is still not yet. If I had to guess, 10-20 years before electric cars will be the dominate type sold sooner if mandated.

Bob

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
The death knell of the gas engine car will be when they make an all electric car with the range of a gas powered car at a cost equal to a gas powered car and have charging stations as plentiful and quick to charge as current gas service stations are. That will be sooner than later I'm thinking at the rate things are going. For me right now because of the way I use a car and where I live the answer is still not yet. If I had to guess, 10-20 years before electric cars will be the dominate type sold sooner if mandated.

Bob
For me its them charging points ! Few and far between at the moment, also charging times, who wants to wait at a petrol station for 30 mins.

Last edited:

Vacumatic

Testy
Mir is them charging points ! Few and far between at the moment, also charging times, who wants to wait at a petrol station for 30 mins.
Exactly. They make a big fuss of the low 0-60 times but then you need to park up for 30 minutes whilst Reginald Molehusband comes past in his 1.0 Polo and reaches his destination whilst you are still explaining to SWMBO that it will be only be another 5 minutes and then you can do another 120 miles, and would she mind if the airconditioning was switched off for the rest of the way.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I can get on board with the idea of electric for a daily commuter, the range is enough to get me to work and back comfortably then I plug it in overnight and it's full in the morning. However, with the exception of the Tesla all the electric cars I've seen have been superminis and they're too small. There is also the problem that we tend to holiday in the UK and most of them would need charging at least once on the way necessitating a long stop if I can find a charger. Plus all electric cars are eye-wateringly expensive, doubly so for a Tesla.

I think my best shot would be a hybrid, Land Rover do PHEVs now so I could stick with something similar to what I have now.

(edit) As things sit right now, turbo diesel's suiting my needs very nicely.

Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
My mate had to buy in loads of equipment to service the MG Electric SUV. I say service, with no oil to change and various other things it’s just a case of topping up the windscreen wash bottle. But they had to install all sorts of safety protocol. Even had to buy insulated poles to drag and engineer out of the way should anything go wrong. They have a half decent range at just over 200 fairly large too. Apparently one of the dangers is the acceleration from stand still it does launch off.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Hmm. We’d like to switch to EV but there are barriers.

Firstly, given that we tend to buy cars in cash that are about three-to-five years old and keep them until they are no longer practical and/or worth maintaining. We are currently running a petrol Fiat 500 that’s almost 12 years old with nearly 100,000 miles on the clock. The finances would have to add up as well as the longevity of the technology.

Charging would be an issue. We don’t have parking directly outside our current property and it’s unlikely that our employers would put in charging points unless there were considerable government incentives.

I imagine that, in 2030, we’ll be running a petrol probably with an element self-charging hybrid technology.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Has to be all electric. Anything else is unthinkable. People will just have to adapt to electric vehicles, and governments need to take steps to make electric compulsory. I expect the EU to go all electric, because they lead the world in combatting climate change. A lot of other countries will stick to petrol and diesel because the world is full of incompetent, stupid, corrupt politicians who are blind to what's happening to the climate or simply don't care about future generations when they can stay in power and put billions into offshore accounts.