The Story and Philosophy of Against the Grain

Len

Forum GOD!
I just found out about this site today, from a member of another forum that kindly PM'ed me. I'm aware it is quite new, and maybe has not yet fully formed its story or culture.

But, from those who created and run this place, how did it come about, and why?

And what is the general philosophy of this place that may set it apart from other shave forums?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
To be honest it was created to expand the spectrum of UK wet shaving forums, as very few exist. Ideally we would like to share ideas, opinions and other shaving related ventures, as well as general topics; amongst a group of willing members. With the notion of good will resonating throughout.

Some say it was created by the burning embers of Mt. Vesuvias, other by sheer hard work. Either way we hope you can all enjoy a laid back hobby in a pleasant and open atmosphere.

Gordy

Legendary Member
Every section or thread, whilst not to everyone's taste, has its merits. I don't have a great deal of interest in stationery, it's certainly not weird, but it's great that it's there for anyone that would like to stay within the confines of the forum. For me, I feel that lather pictures have more of a place on a shaving forum.
Personally I have learned a lot from the lather pictures thread, as I want to improve my shaves in any way that I can. To give an example, I posted a pictures of my TOBS Avocado cream lather and Nishy advised it needed more water, next time hey presto, a massively improved shave. How many others on this forum have learned from this tip? I know certainly plenty have mentioned it.
So, whilst many are content with already knowing everything, I think it must be appreciated that forums on the whole are here for people to learn, otherwise there really is no reason for their existence.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Have to admit I got the idea from TSN and had exactly the same experience as you Gordy. Learnt alot about creating the thick, shiny lather I use today. Made a world of difference too. I think secretly Dave has a love hate relationship with lather shots :) better it be that than leather shorts :wink:

Dave-the-rave

Forum GOD!
Every section or thread, whilst not to everyone's taste, has its merits. I don't have a great deal of interest in stationery, it's certainly not weird, but it's great that it's there for anyone that would like to stay within the confines of the forum. For me, I feel that lather pictures have more of a place on a shaving forum.
Personally I have learned a lot from the lather pictures thread, as I want to improve my shaves in any way that I can. To give an example, I posted a pictures of my TOBS Avocado cream lather and Nishy advised it needed more water, next time hey presto, a massively improved shave. How many others on this forum have learned from this tip? I know certainly plenty have mentioned it.
So, whilst many are content with already knowing everything, I think it must be appreciated that forums on the whole are here for people to learn, otherwise there really is no reason for their existence.
Good grief man it's a long standing joke from me to shaving Forums the world over. Relax in a Radox bath and whip up some lather. I don't mind honest. :cheers:

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Whatever the philosophy, it was always gonna feels more "free" in theory & practice, or more level, mostly because we've all joined in the equivalent of one long weekend (whatever your shave bio is, whatever your knowledge & insight, if you're new to a forum, you're new to a forum). I'm a noob on B & B, and the other place, here I'm simply "number 72" :D :cool: