The soap or the brush

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Wayne, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:54 AM.

1. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

I have had some pretty poor holiday shaves in my time. Poor lathers and poor razor/blade combos preferring mild nick free shaves over efficient two pass shaves I usually like have led to irritation and soreness. This holiday I seem to have got it spot on. The combo of Speick shave stick, Yaqi Synth and Charcoal/ Gillette Yellow have left me smooth and irritation free with no nicks or weepers.
    Lather is simply awesome, if I was being hyper critical the soap is slightly drying but nothing to write home about. To simply wipe a stick over ones face, dip a brush into water and produce such a volumous hydrating lather has been fabulous. Is it the soap or the brush though? Is a Synth better at building lather than a 2 band Badger? Is the soap so good it beats the majority of my so called Artisan tubs that I own? I normally never use either except when away but I should use both more.
    E55F8520-B133-4763-8B8C-B52C21E5711D.jpeg

2. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

It's the soap, Speick is absolutely fantastic. The active aftershave finishes the shave of beautifully too. One of the few soaps I have finished and found improved my skin tone, whilst not leaving arthritis in my wrist. Works well with a badger, synthetic or even a broom. It is slightly drying especially with the aftershave but nothing that lasts more than 10 minutes.

Jacobite, Dr Watson and Wayne like this.
  3. vita

vita Mach 5 Turbo Fusion

Speick's good stuff.

A brush is a brush is a brush as long as it lathers.

4. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

I find most of my Badgers hold the lather rather than putting it where it goes, on my face, the Yaqi Tux lets it go easier.

Grishnak likes this.
  5. Nishy

Hold those badgers upside down and add a little water to the collar.

Grishnak and Wayne like this.
  6. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

Top tip Nishy. Cheers I will give that a go in a few days when I’m back :okay:

Nishy likes this.
  7. vita

vita Mach 5 Turbo Fusion

That's why badger brushes are obsolete :surrender:

Martini likes this.
  8. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

Not in my bathroom

9. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

It's the soap - it really is that good.

Jacobite, Wayne and Dr Watson like this.
  10. Blackmass

Blackmass Forum GOD!

Is it the soap or the brush? What about the water?

I don’t want to drag this thread down a ‘hard water’ hole but I’ve found shaving in different parts of the country has an effect on my lather. Nothing else had changed apart from my location….just saying.

BTW I hope you're having a nice holiday.

Paul L, mark0, Martini and 2 others like this.
  11. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

That soap is top drawer, the Tux knot is no slouch either... Combined with potentially soft water as Rob says and you're onto a winner :okay:

Paul L, Jacobite, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  12. Nishy

I have to admit I was using Speick in very hard water but had no issues. It exploded.into lather just like Tabac.

I would say loading with the brush and stick as opposed to stick to face tends to use less product. Perhaps like MdC too much product can become drying?

Jacobite and Wayne like this.
  13. Dr Watson

Yeah, likewise... Only ever used Speick in (very) hard water and found it superb. Never found it drying at all, unlike Palmolive which dries me right out.

Wayne likes this.
  14. Nishy

I'm lucky Palmolive is another fantastic performer for me.

Jacobite likes this.
  15. Dr Watson

Mad isn't it how differently these products interact with our individual skin? Little wonder a consensus can never be reached and we just say YMMV :happy:

Jacobite, Wayne, R181 and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice