The Shaving Disciple (a.k.a. gwsmallwood's shaving videos)

halvor

a most elusive fish
I enjoyed the video. Thanks! I'm no avid youtube watcher, nevermind shave videos, but stuck with you till the end there. Nice getting to know a little about the names I know from the forums (perhaps even more so now with Covid and lack of social interaction); think I came across your name and posts first on TSD, maybe five years ago? Migrated back to my own continent after that and have mostly been getting my shave forum fix from ATG these last years.

As to the content and how to profile your channel, like I said, I liked getting to know you a little, that you talked about yourself and the fact that you do/want to talk about other stuff beyond shaving as well. There's probably a balance to be struck there, though, as if you do content all over the place you either have to brilliant on all topics from a to z or you need people to want to and get to know you to the extent that they want to follow you because you are you. In contrast to going more person neutral, shave targeted only, and getting viewers that are after just that. Did that make sense? Another alternative is to carve out a niche for yourself - the "shaving Jesus follower" would be one, doing shave videos and talking about the verse of the day. I'd be out, as that would be a little too much for me (all depending on to which extent you were able to make that line or quote relevant for me as a not so devout, to put it that way), but surely others would be in. And there are other options - your writing; coping with life, as I see you have touched upon in a blog post --- mental health is important, maybe you could muster some interest and attention around the topic. You effectively asked for the equivalent of a focus group in the video, anyway, so hopefully there are things to glean from comments what sort of interests are out there for you to 'exploit'.

Well done on your first video, and good luck with the channel!

gwsmallwood

Legendary Member
I enjoyed the video. Thanks! I'm no avid youtube watcher, nevermind shave videos, but stuck with you till the end there. Nice getting to know a little about the names I know from the forums (perhaps even more so now with Covid and lack of social interaction); think I came across your name and posts first on TSD, maybe five years ago? Migrated back to my own continent after that and have mostly been getting my shave forum fix from ATG these last years.

As to the content and how to profile your channel, like I said, I liked getting to know you a little, that you talked about yourself and the fact that you do/want to talk about other stuff beyond shaving as well. There's probably a balance to be struck there, though, as if you do content all over the place you either have to brilliant on all topics from a to z or you need people to want to and get to know you to the extent that they want to follow you because you are you. In contrast to going more person neutral, shave targeted only, and getting viewers that are after just that. Did that make sense? Another alternative is to carve out a niche for yourself - the "shaving Jesus follower" would be one, doing shave videos and talking about the verse of the day. I'd be out, as that would be a little too much for me (all depending on to which extent you were able to make that line or quote relevant for me as a not so devout, to put it that way), but surely others would be in. And there are other options - your writing; coping with life, as I see you have touched upon in a blog post --- mental health is important, maybe you could muster some interest and attention around the topic. You effectively asked for the equivalent of a focus group in the video, anyway, so hopefully there are things to glean from comments what sort of interests are out there for you to 'exploit'.

Well done on your first video, and good luck with the channel!
Thank you for your thoughts. There's a lot of good information to think about here.

gwsmallwood

Legendary Member
When you said a full shave I thought the beard would go! :laugh::D
Ha Ha. Nope. I did that at the start of the pandemic stay at home orders and my wife and kids did not appreciate it. My first shave video only had the head shave on camera, so I just meant adding in the parts of my face that actually get shaved (shaved, shaven, shorn...I have no idea what the proper word is for that).

gwsmallwood

Legendary Member
I decided to do a bit of proselytizing with my latest video. It could be handy if you're trying to convert anyone.