The perfect shaving bowl?

sonofgaladriel

This turned granite bowl is perfect! The turning rings on the inside are perfect for helping create a great lather and those on the outside make it slip resistant. Soak it for a few minutes in warm water prior to shaving and it holds the heat for the entire shave keeping the brush and lather warm. Its the perfect weight and size for the palm.
shaving bowl.jpg

Zhang Doe

^
Yeah, the stone / granite bowls looks great, but I always was concerned that the rough texture would destroy brushes over time.

Jon D

Veteran
I hadn’t realised that Captains Choice make some coated Copper Bowls. Possibly more brush tip friendly than the Pereira unbreakable (if you believe the theory that sharp ridges can damage the tips over time).

It (the standard sized one) is my new favourite bowl. More comfortable in the hand than the Pereira, slightly slower to whip up lather- but still quick. Wont break when dropped.

sonofgaladriel

^
Yeah, the stone / granite bowls looks great, but I always was concerned that the rough texture would destroy brushes over time.
I am watching for that. My brush knot is long enough and the bowl shallow enough that I dont hit the handle on the bowl. So far, no damage to my brush handle or bristles.

Steve56

Über Member
The Aesop bowls have been mentioned in bowl threads quite a lot, and they are of course Sori Yanagi stainless bowls that can be had for about half what Aesop asks for them. There are actually several sizes as they are a part of a kitchen set I believe, but IIRC only the two smaller sizes have the straight sides; the others have curved sides like regular bowls. the straight sides are what I believe makes a bowl a little better at lathering, the brush hits those steep sides and flexes more than a curved side - but that is speculation on my part. I’ve noted that the beautiful Woodhead bowl, the suribachi bowl, and the melamin bowls pictured earlier also have these steeper, straighter sides.

If anyone likes the Aesop but wants a larger size, say like the 16cm Symmetrical Pottery bowls, Sori Yanagi make one. Image below, 13 and 16 cm.

Cheers, Steve

36B35489-1DB5-4925-974D-1908E5A9654B.jpeg

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
The Aesop bowls have been mentioned in bowl threads quite a lot, and they are of course Sori Yanagi stainless bowls that can be had for about half what Aesop asks for them. There are actually several sizes as they are a part of a kitchen set I believe, but IIRC only the two smaller sizes have the straight sides; the others have curved sides like regular bowls. the straight sides are what I believe makes a bowl a little better at lathering, the brush hits those steep sides and flexes more than a curved side - but that is speculation on my part. I’ve noted that the beautiful Woodhead bowl, the suribachi bowl, and the melamin bowls pictured earlier also have these steeper, straighter sides.

If anyone likes the Aesop but wants a larger size, say like the 16cm Symmetrical Pottery bowls, Sori Yanagi make one. Image below, 13 and 16 cm.

Cheers, Steve

View attachment 66180
I looked on amazon and ebay for Sori Yanagi bowl but they come in sets of of at least 2 for £99 and more.

I bought the Aesop a few years ago and it's still one of my favourites bowl, it's actually my travelling bowl.

The Suribachi is another of my fav bowls but the No one bowl for me is the Captain's Choice bowl, I don't know what it is but I think it's the most efficient bowl to build up a lather.

My first bowl was the TSR bowl which I still use from time to time.

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
I have 2 from the little wren pottery Both are good the first is quite deep and is a good bowl , but with shorter handle brushes you can get lather all over the handle with rubberiest style brushes it is perfect, the second is one @Wayne Kindly gave to me and has lower side and I would say it is about perfect with the shorter brushes.

Steve56

Über Member
I looked on amazon and ebay for Sori Yanagi bowl but they come in sets of of at least 2 for £99 and more.

I bought the Aesop a few years ago and it's still one of my favourites bowl, it's actually my travelling bowl.

The Suribachi is another of my fav bowls but the No one bowl for me is the Captain's Choice bowl, I don't know what it is but I think it's the most efficient bowl to build up a lather.

My first bowl was the TSR bowl which I still use from time to time.
I just checked eBay UK and the 13cm bowl can be bought for £17 and change, the 16cm for £27 and change, both with free postage from Japan.

Vacumatic

Legendary Member
I just have a squat black earthenware former coffee cup that I bought in 1976, it has a rough finish, a handle, washes out well and retains heat, works great for me.