Thanks where thanks are due! for help with RudyVey+Shavemac custom.

chef

A relatively short while ago, I posted here -- as a rank 'noob' looking for an upgrade/change from my off-the-shelf Parker Silvertip -- for some advice re: a custom brush.

I received good general feedback; thanks all.

With great comments/advice here from @Nishy, good advice from a very busy Bernd @ shavemac, and some wonderfully patient advice and craftsmanship from Rudy Vey, I ended up with a custom brush that I'm terribly pleased with! To those folks -- and Rudy in particular -- thank you VERY much!

The knot's a Shavemac 2-band SilverTip knot, set to a 51mm loft. It's a very different experience than the Parker -- more backbone, more precise, just the tiniest bit of tip-feel (scritch?). Feels a bit less 'luxuriant' on the face, but certainly less bloomed (at this stage), and not nearly as 'floppy'. Both characteristcs I was seeking. This after just a couple of shaves. Smells a bit 'badgery' ... but that's expected from what I've read.

The handle's beautifully custom-crafted by Rudy Vey -- a combo of tortoise shell, a plain ivory band, and some gorgeous "real faux" ivory. It's really quite lovely, IMO.

Rudy was **extraordinarily** patient & helpful in the process. The handle's crafted to my specs -- a hodgepodge of various handles' design aspects, but most closely modelled after a Shavemac 'Barber' -- &, most notably, sized to fit to *my* larger hand -- starting with a bunch of trial-n-error clay modeling, evolving to a 3D-printed model, and ending in Rudy's finished product. Whereas the Parker was small-ish & uncomfortable to hold/use in my hand, Rudy's custom is a perfect-fit & extermely comfortable to use.

It'll certainly be interesting for me to see how this changes with some use.

Again, many thanks to all -- especially Rudy, Nishy & Bernd!

For anyone's interest, I've attached pics ...
brush1.pngbrush2.pngparker_compare.png

Last edited:

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
What a beautiful brush! I‘m sure you will have many years of joy using it.

Don‘t worry about the „funk“, the smell goes away with use. Try using a stronger smelling soap or cream. I usually soak my new badgers in vinegar water for a few minutes which helps to get rid of the natural fat in the hair.

What is the diameter on that knot?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Glad to be of help, the knot should relax and bloom with more use, as you rightly mention. It will then provide an even more pleasant face feel.

chef

Don‘t worry about the „funk“, the smell goes away with use. Try using a stronger smelling soap or cream. I usually soak my new badgers in vinegar water for a few minutes which helps to get rid of the natural fat in the hair.
Thanks. I'd read similar comments, as well as use of borax -- wasn't quite sure if either would cause any problems with the knot glue.

What is the diameter on that knot?
It's a 26mm dia.

chef

Can we have a photo post-use please?
Here's the bloom after merely 7 shaves x 3 passes, lathered up in a scuttle.

brush3_7x.png

It will then provide an even more pleasant face feel.
And that has very quickly, and noticeably now, become the case. Scritch is gone completely. It now feels lush -- still with more backbone.

It's also has become *very* good at generating copious amounts of rich lather. At start, it was a bit anemic ; I'd figured it came with the new knot characteristics.

And since the knot holds water/heat quite well, the brush+scuttle easily provide 3 passes of thoroughly warm lather.

*This* is all a welcome surprise!

Last edited:

chef

Glad to be of help
Much appreciated! Certainly not required, but kind & helpful. As were comments from numerous others here on ATG.

The head scratcher for me was the number of brush *vendors* & "artisans" that couldn't be bothered to reply at all to legit *purchase* inquiries. No big shakes, tho; in the end -- I ended up with exactly the right 'mix' :)

Last edited:

Marcos

Forum GOD!
Rudy is top notch and Shavemac 2 band is a fantastic choice for a 2 band knot. All of the ones I’ve tried have been remarkably consistent which we all know is hard to do from batch to batch.