Completed Tatara Masamune Razor pass around

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Razor is with me and arrived superbly packaged from @p.b

Will use the razor all this coming week, starting Tuesday and post my shaves and thoughts :)
Have fun with it.
  1. sɐǝɹpu∀/riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Blademonkey (TSR)
  3. carbold (ATG/TSR)
  4. Rowlers (ATG)
  5. Salv (ATG)
  6. Holyzeus (ATG)
  7. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  8. ajc347 (ATG)
  9. Mikey J (ATG)
  10. p.b (ATG)
  11. Tomhstorey (ATG)
  12. Wayne Pritchard/2hot 2trot (TSR/ATG)
  13. Boru62 (ATG)
  14. ManicDee (ATG)
  15. Andymc133 (ATG)
  16. bagman (TSR)
  17. Celar36 (ATG)
  18. Nosdoh (TSR)
  19. Benz3ne (TSR)
  20. fixedwheel (TSR)
  21. nolisco (TSR)
  22. Simonfend (TSR)
  23. Bikerjohn (TSR)
  24. Looney12345 (ATG)
The list is open.
Legend: Waiting, Currently with, Completed Pulled out

Tomhstorey

Forum GOD!
Tatara Masamune Razor
Permasharp
Cadman
Shaving Shop Warrior

9E7B3E18-99E3-4B62-B247-B470AC38088B.jpeg

Shave 1 done. Went with the straight bar as it’s normally what I prefer.

Initial impressions:
The fit and finish is very nice. The razor feels light for a stainless razor and nimble but also quite substantial and solid. The head looks low profile which I like. I am impressed the with the look and feel of the razor.

Shave:
Loading a blade was very easy. The design makes for a secure and satisfying fitting of all components, whislt sacrificing the ability to swap out handles I don’t mind this.

WTG - very comfortable, very smooth. Not ever so close but I rarely am on one pass. I left a couple of patches a bit longer so much watch my technique. Feedback and bladefeel were minimal.

XTG - again smooth and comfortable. I can tell now that it won’t be as efficient as I tend to go for but so far so good.

ATG - no problems until I get to my more stubborn areas which need extra buffing and work to get as close as I’d like.

Overall very enjoyable. Not a sign of any nicks, weepers or irritation. The razor is on the milder side of what I tend to reach for but nonetheless a very pleasant mild shaver. I ended up nice and close but took a little more effort to get there. The razor felt nice and nimble in use and seemed to pair well with the Permasharp which tends to work well for me in most razors.

Will use the open comb on Thursday.

Last edited:

Tomhstorey

Forum GOD!
Tatara Masamune Razor
Gillette 7 O’Clock Black
That Darn Rob Brush
P&B - Imperial Rum
0F47EB91-D17F-4B65-9530-FAAC8E26CA1A.jpeg

Used the open comb today.

Much more like it. A little step up in efficiency went a long way for me in terms of easily getting the finish from the shave that I like. All passes were smooth and comfortable but I did find the teeth of the open comb to be a little on the sharp side.

I think the ideal for me would be the straight bar with a little more blade gap.

Overall I think this razor is very impressive. Very well finished, looks the business and shaves very well. Something I would consider adding to the collection in a larger blade gap in straight bar.

Thanks very much for the chance at the passaround :)

TATARA RAZORS

Forum GOD!
Artisan
From memory though, the tolerances are so tight that even the tiniest little knock will make the top of the handle bind on the bottom plate. I guess if they [Tatara] were to make it more fault [drop!] tolerant the USP of the razor then suffers....
Thank you Rowlers, that was exactly what happen and indeed because the tolerances are so tight is kind a trade off if we will have geometrical changes, even if small. Glad to know that the problem was successfully solved =)

TATARA RAZORS

Forum GOD!
Artisan
A week of shaving with this wonderful razor has been completed.

I love the design and execution:
  • the way the handle fits onto the thread
  • the way the handle locates the position of the base plate
  • how the head clamps the blade
  • the finish
  • the texture of the handle
The things I don't like:
  • the handle is a little too thin - I'd prefer 12-13mm diameter
  • I'd rather the handle had a flat bottom and more angular styling to be more in-keeping with the style of the head
  • the teeth on the open comb are too sharp
Overall I found the head to have a little drag. It's not too bad but I'd rather a polished finish that just slides along the skin. I found the closed comb to be a little too mild but very smooth. It worked very well with a Feather blade, with everything else it's just a bit too mild. The open comb is spot on - just that little bit more aggressive and from the first stroke it felt just right. However, and this is a big however, the teeth feel too rake like. I could accept that most of the time but when shaving ATG into the areas under my nostrils the teeth are pointy and sharp and it feels terrible. That alone is enough to spoil it for me.

I feel fortunate enough to be this picky that I can dismiss a razor on one flaw but the razor market isn't short of excellent, expensive, stainless steel razors and for me this is a 9/10 razor. If the handle were wider and the OC teeth smoother I'd probably be buying one.

Thanks for the opportunity - as always I enjoy trying out new things and this has been great.

Hello P.b,

Thank you very much for your detailed review!
We agree with what you said, and I have to say that you will be happy with the next Tatara model razor, since we are actually working precisely on this points:
  • "the handle is a little too thin - I'd prefer 12-13mm diameter
  • I'd rather the handle had a flat bottom and more angular styling to be more in-keeping with the style of the head
  • the teeth on the open comb are too sharp"

p.b

Forum GOD!
Hello P.b,

Thank you very much for your detailed review!
We agree with what you said, and I have to say that you will be happy with the next Tatara model razor, since we are actually working precisely on this points:
  • "the handle is a little too thin - I'd prefer 12-13mm diameter
  • the teeth on the open comb are too sharp"
Wonderful news. Thank you.

P.S. it’s the underside of the teeth that are too pointy/ sharp.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Good evening gentleman.

I am now in custody of the razor.
Many thanks to all concerned.

Wayne
Thanks, Wayne
  1. sɐǝɹpu∀/riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Blademonkey (TSR)
  3. carbold (ATG/TSR)
  4. Rowlers (ATG)
  5. Salv (ATG)
  6. Holyzeus (ATG)
  7. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  8. ajc347 (ATG)
  9. Mikey J (ATG)
  10. p.b (ATG)
  11. Tomhstorey (ATG)
  12. Wayne Pritchard/2hot 2trot (TSR/ATG)
  13. Boru62 (ATG)
  14. ManicDee (ATG)
  15. Andymc133 (ATG)
  16. bagman (TSR)
  17. Celar36 (ATG)
  18. Nosdoh (TSR)
  19. Benz3ne (TSR)
  20. fixedwheel (TSR)
  21. nolisco (TSR)
  22. Simonfend (TSR)
  23. Bikerjohn (TSR)
  24. Looney12345 (ATG)
The list is open.
Legend: Waiting, Currently with, Completed Pulled out

Last edited:

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Pre: Warm water face wash
Brush: Omega 20102 Boar
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Tatara Masamune (Pass Around)
Blade: Polsilver Lodz
IMG_20180506_083502.jpg

This is a stunning razor and is nicely balanced.
The blade is held very securely and thanks to the clever design blade exposure will always be even.
It's early days but I think this would be a bit mild as a daily driver as I had to go over the wiry grey hairs quite a few times.
Three passes and pick ups to get me where the 1924 got me in one and a half yesterday.
It is very nimble and a pleasure to use and did I say it was stunning?

For some reason this tune pops into my head every time I think of this razor:

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Brush: Vie-Long 13052 Horse
Soap: MWF
Razor: Tatara Masamune OC (Pass Around)
Blade: Polsilver Lodz
IMG_20180507_102115.jpg

After yesterday's enjoyable if somewhat mediocre shave I was hoping for better things from the OC.
It was as smooth and perhaps slightly more efficient and I do prefer the OC but I have razors as smooth and more efficient.
I will stick with the OC for the rest of the pass around to see if it becomes more efficient with use.
Did I mention it was stunning?
Happy Shaving one and all.

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Pre: Cold water face wash
Brush: Vie-Long 14846 Badger/Horse
Cream: Sudsey Soapery Lavender & Peppermint
Razor: Tatara Masamune OC (Pass Around)
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Post: Cold water rinse, Vitamin E Oil, Cella Eau De Lavande

IMG_20180509_163813.jpg

Final go with the Tatara and although it's beautiful I find it a bit mild for my liking.
I don't mind the fact that you can't use other handles, I really like the handle and the whole balance of the razor.
As I disassemble and assemble a razor each time I use it I don't like the long thread on the handle, petty I know, but it annoys me.
Thanks to everyone who made it possible for me to try this incredibly well made and stunning razor (have I said that before?) I'm glad I had the chance to find out it's not for me.
Happy Shaving one and all.