Completed Tatara Masamune Razor pass around

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Ok the razor arrived at my house on monday afternoon. However, I was rushed into hospital earlier on monday morning with gallstones or so they thought. So I am waiting to be released today and am eager to try it out.
Will post it on tuesday if that is ok?

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Ok the razor arrived at my house on monday afternoon. However, I was rushed into hospital earlier on monday morning with gallstones or so they thought. So I am waiting to be released today and am eager to try it out.
Will post it on tuesday if that is ok?
Exceptional circumstances and all that... nobody will be upset if you keep it a few days longer.
Get better soon and look after yourself.

1. sɐǝɹpu∀/riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Blademonkey (TSR)
  3. carbold (ATG/TSR)
  4. Rowlers (ATG)
  5. Salv (ATG)
  6. Holyzeus (ATG)
  7. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  8. ajc347 (ATG)
  9. Mikey J (ATG)
  10. p.b (ATG)
  11. Tomhstorey (ATG)
  12. Wayne Pritchard/2hot 2trot (TSR/ATG)
  13. Boru62 (ATG)
  14. ManicDee (ATG)
  15. Andymc133 (ATG)
  16. bagman (TSR)
  17. Celar36 (ATG)
  18. Nosdoh (TSR)
  19. Benz3ne (TSR)
  20. fixedwheel (TSR)
  21. nolisco (TSR)
  22. Simonfend (TSR)
  23. Bikerjohn (TSR)
  24. Looney12345 (ATG)
The list is open.
Legend: Waiting, Currently with, Completed Pulled out

Last edited:

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Sorry it has taken a bit longer than normal to get back to you all. I have been out of hospital 7 days now and it took that long for me to have sufficient hair to shave twice! So here goes.

First impressions,
The wooden box containing the razor is a lovely touch and those magnets are finger pinching powerful.
Whilst it would take up a lot of space on my shaver rack I have to say, I do like it.
It feels so light and I was shocked to find out it is stainless steel but I do love the satin finish but I am still unsure with the handle!

First Shave : OC
For my first shave I went for OSP "1882" fougere cream + OSP "Fougere" AS, a Gillette Platinum and a Semogue 730 brush.
I think most people find OC razors to be aggressive in nature but this razor I found to be very mild but efficient. It cut all before it but was so gentle to the skin.
It was a real surprise to use and I have several OC from Merkur's, a couple of Vintage Gillette's and a Muhle OC.
Only a few passes and I was done! Absolutely loved that shave.
It is a very easy razor to use, finds the angle easily and does what it was created to do effortlessly.

Second Shave : Closed comb
So this time I decided to stick with the Gillette Platinum blade, A Tobs Sandalwood stick soap and some Geo F Trumper sandalwood skin food (Love this stuff) .
I found this head to be way to mild. After one pass I could still feel an awful lot of stubble even after the 2nd pass. Far more than what I am used too!
Four passes and I am done, I cannot say I enjoyed this razor head compared to the OC.

Verdict:
A €149 Without the postage included for Razor with Open head is just too expensive for me!
Which is sad, as I really loved how this OC performed and how this razor looks
but for that price I could buy a Bronze Timeless OC Razor for less!
Maybe if I'm a good boy Santa will add it to my presents. We will see.

I would like to thank Paul from Connaught Shaving:bravo: and sɐǝɹpu∀ :bravo:for giving me the opportunity to use this razor and par-take in this pass around.
Cheers Manicdee

I have contacted "Andymc133" who is next and am waiting his reply

Last edited:

Andymc133

Forum GOD!
So far so good used the razor twice with open comb and very impressed and also the quality of the presentation box makes it appear like a quality item

I will try the closed comb next in a head to head with the krona I have on loan also

Andymc133

Forum GOD!
Another quality shave this morning using the closed bar head this time.

The Tatara is a very good razor but comes at a price around 190 dollars.

I collect mainly vintage razors and a fair few straight razors. Now if one of the Tatara's was to come up on eBay or forum at a decent price I could be tempted

Andymc133

Forum GOD!
I was cleaning the razor up to get it ready for next person and found when I took the blade out the blade had cracked which could have caused bad alignment of the blade leading to cuts

Anyone else had this problem as it's something that has never happened to me before. Might be something to keep an eye on

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I was cleaning the razor up to get it ready for next person and found when I took the blade out the blade had cracked which could have caused bad alignment of the blade leading to cuts

Anyone else had this problem as it's something that has never happened to me before. Might be something to keep an eye on
:eek:

ManicDee

póg mo thóin

Whoo that has never happened to me ever Andy :eek::eek:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
  1. sɐǝɹpu∀/riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Blademonkey (TSR)
  3. carbold (ATG/TSR)
  4. Rowlers (ATG)
  5. Salv (ATG)
  6. Holyzeus (ATG)
  7. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  8. ajc347 (ATG)
  9. Mikey J (ATG)
  10. p.b (ATG)
  11. Tomhstorey (ATG)
  12. Wayne Pritchard/2hot 2trot (TSR/ATG)
  13. Boru62 (ATG)
  14. ManicDee (ATG)
  15. Andymc133 (ATG)
  16. bagman (TSR)
  17. Celar36 (ATG)
  18. Nosdoh (TSR)
  19. Benz3ne (TSR)
  20. fixedwheel (TSR)
  21. nolisco (TSR)
  22. Simonfend (TSR)
  23. Bikerjohn (TSR)
  24. Looney12345 (ATG)