Pass Around Tatara badger brush

D

Deleted member 1881

How this knot is compared to a 24mm 2band knot from Yaqi, Maseto or even Frank Shaving?

Thanks.

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
I’ve had about 7 or 8 shaves using this brush now with a variety of soaps.

Before I went off on holiday I used it a couple of times with Semogue Lavender and it produced superb lather with little effort. I tend to face lather ready for the first pass then add more water in a bowl for the subsequent passes which lets the soap sit on my face for a couple of minutes before I start shaving.

We were off to the Haute Savoie for half term so SWMBO and my youngest could convert hard earned money into sweat and sunburn on the ski slopes!

I took SV Stella Alpina as my main soap as I was in the Alps. The brush produced the usual superb lather from this soap and a Mennen soap stick I picked up at a French supermarket

It has only shed a couple of hairs during its time with me.

I love the look of the handle and the heft of it but find I’m not as keen in use. I prefer a bigger handle and this one I found was cramping my fingers a bit in use.

I use a synthetic for most of my shaves but enjoyed using a badger again.

A very well made and beautiful looking brush that compliments the razor very well.

Thanks for the chance of a play with it and it’s off to the next participant today RMSD (or will be when I’ve been to the post office)

p.b

Forum GOD!
OK - brush now with me after a trip to the parents to retrieve it.

Handle is to heavy but comfy and beautiful if you like the tech look which I certainly do. The knot size is basically identical the the TSN 2018 special edition at 24/49-50mm and similar in shape and density. The tips are grey white whereas the TSN brush which are creamy white, but after 1 palm lather they feel very similar. Looking forward to the shave tomorrow (I'm 100% certain it'll be nicer than the bodger I've been using)

p.b

Forum GOD!

Despite the TSN knot looking larger it measures the same, obviously the TSN handle is larger, but no where near as heavy.

In a direct comparison (I used both brushes to face lather today) I would say that the Tatara brush has slightly more backbone / density, and a touch more scritch. I always think 24mm is too small but these two brushes prove there's really no need to bigger. I could see a lot of people preferring the Tatara due to the greater face-feel it has over the TSN. Despite appearances the hair feels different in use. If anyone in the pass-around has a standard Semogue SOC 2-band badger I'd be interested to see how they compare as the Tatara knot might be the same as the SOC.

I love the look of the handle but it's too small and too heavy in use. It needs to be wider for me to comfortably grip it and (more) hollow to reduce it's weight.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks for the review @p.b I did own a SOC some time back but found it a little to scritchy. Has the Tatara brush bloomed fully as yet? It appears to be very compact, I also found it to feel larger on the face than other 24mm I have used. Strangely this is despite the controlled splay.

p.b

Forum GOD!
@Nishy I assume that you and @bagman have used it each 4 times so I'd say that it's fully bloomed - badgers don't normally take long to get there. Once the knot is loaded with soap the scritch is quite minor, but still there.

The controlled splay really does add to the backbone. I think those who like a firmer brush would love this knot, I borrowed a Simpsons Duke 3 Manchurian and, from memory, that had a similar feel.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
@Nishy I assume that you and @bagman have used it each 4 times so I'd say that it's fully bloomed - badgers don't normally take long to get there. Once the knot is loaded with soap the scritch is quite minor, but still there.

The controlled splay really does add to the backbone. I think those who like a firmer brush would love this knot, I borrowed a Simpsons Duke 3 Manchurian and, from memory, that had a similar feel.
Thanks @p.b I think I'm in the same boat, I didn't notice any scritch myself but your finding closer relate to several Semogue knots I own or have owned.