Pass Around Tatara badger brush

p.b

Forum GOD!

Despite the TSN knot looking larger it measures the same, obviously the TSN handle is larger, but no where near as heavy.

In a direct comparison (I used both brushes to face lather today) I would say that the Tatara brush has slightly more backbone / density, and a touch more scritch. I always think 24mm is too small but these two brushes prove there's really no need to bigger. I could see a lot of people preferring the Tatara due to the greater face-feel it has over the TSN. Despite appearances the hair feels different in use. If anyone in the pass-around has a standard Semogue SOC 2-band badger I'd be interested to see how they compare as the Tatara knot might be the same as the SOC.

I love the look of the handle but it's too small and too heavy in use. It needs to be wider for me to comfortably grip it and (more) hollow to reduce it's weight.
After three more uses my opinion remains the same. Cool looking handle that's too heavy, and too thin to be held comfortably.

The knot is too small for the price - at this level I'd be looking for a 26mm knot. I know this is a fairly arbitrary statement but I think I can get a very similar knot from an SOC nd I'm paying the premium for the handle (which is too small) so I'd want the uniqueness of a 26mm knot.

If these could be addressed I'd be interested in this handle if I also owned the razor as I think it's a great scrubby knot and looks fabulous.

Quique

Forum GOD!
I could see a lot of people preferring the Tatara due to the greater face-feel it has over the TSN. Despite appearances the hair feels different in use. If anyone in the pass-around has a standard Semogue SOC 2-band badger I'd be interested to see how they compare as the Tatara knot might be the same as the SOC.
I have the TSN badger and I have tried the Butterscotch for "Foroafeitado".

My feeling is that although both knots measure the same thing that Foroafeitado is more dense and feels better in the face, perhaps Tatara is similar to that of "Foroafeitado"

I had a SOC five years ago, but it was the worst brush I have ever had

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
My feeling is that although both knots measure the same thing that Foroafeitado is more dense and feels better in the face, perhaps Tatara is similar to that of "Foroafeitado"
Is the Foroafeitado a little bit scritchy?

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Ok 1st shave down.

As I previously said, it's quite a small brush, in fact I was curious to see how it compared to my other brushes. From left to right we have a 24mm Yaqi I also got today, Semogue 1305 boar, Tatara, Edwin Jagger 19mm.

20190312_180123.jpg

I use the EJ as my travel brush and the Tatara is not much bigger so it's a little small for my tastes and felt small and narrow in my hand. There's a decent weight to it though.

The soap I used was A&E Grecian Horse, and I was impressed at how quickly the brush started to generate a lather in the tub. Once loaded I'm a bowl latherer and this is where the brush didn't really work out for me. As the handle is quite small my hand ended up in the bowl more than normal, which resulted in soap on the handle. Now when wet it's still quite grippy, but a little soap and it's very slippery. It's also too small to rest on the bowl so whilst shaving it kept sliding down into the bowl.

20190312_174836.jpg

As for how the brush feels, it was a little scritchy but nothing too bad. The knot again is a little on the small side for my personal tastes, but it performs well.

I think tomorrow I'll try face lather and see how I get on.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
2nd shave with the brush today. This time I went with a face lather using the P&B Imperial rum.

Again I was very impressed with the speed at which the brush started to produce a lather. This time though there was no soap on the handle and I was able to load the brush with enough soap for 2 passes.

I started to enjoy the brush a bit more today, it's a little scratchy bit not uncomfortably so. Yes it's a bit thin and I'd prefer a bigger knot, but I think this would make a great little travel brush.

Would I pay €109 for a travel brush though? If I had the razor, maybe to complete the set but I can get cheaper better brushes.

20190313_173744.jpg
20190313_175041.jpg

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Finally after 4 months I've exchanged on a house and will be moving next Friday. I don't want to risk this brush going missing in a house move so I'll use it tonight, then let it dry thoroughly before packing up and sending on. Might be the weekend or might be Monday.

Thanks for the fantastic opportunity to try it out.

RandySp

Forum GOD!
Sorry to interrupt but would it be an exaggeration if I tell that this brush seems to be no better than a Yaqi 2Band? The price is set very high too and from what I read, it's not worth it.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Sorry to interrupt but would it be an exaggeration if I tell that this brush seems to be no better than a Yaqi 2Band? The price is set very high too and from what I read, it's not worth it.
No problem in stating an opinion. I would argue that it has no glue bump, no inverted hairs, no red hairs as found in many Chinese knots. The cut is near perfect, having owned 7 Yaqi brushes none are true fans or bulbs and finally it doesn't shed any hairs. So in my opinion it is much better than Yaqi in construction. Practically it has its deficiencies but nothing attributed to the knot or business end of you like, IMO. If concentrating on the knot alone, I can't see Yaqi beating Semogue. Agree that the price is high, but I have no information on production costs, either way the handle isn't perfection.

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Here it is sitting pretty in todays SOTD. This is my third use.

Tatara sotd.jpg

The closest I could find of resemblance to this knot from my collection was a TGN 2band finest in a Razorock 24mm 400 handle. Obviously more bulb like but looks and performance are very similar IMO.

Tatara and Razorock.jpeg
Please note that the knot of the Razorock brush has been stained from using PannaCrema Nuavia . A fantastic soap but caveat emptor with your expensive brushes gentlemen.

First and foremost the knot. It has plenty of backbone resulting in sufficient and not too excessive splay. I found the water and soap retention is outstanding for such a small knot. The knot paints and scrubs really well with great flow through. The brush is super quick and efficient in creating a lovely thick lather and held enough soap for 3 generous passes.
On the negative side I would of liked to have seen a slightly more denser knot and less scritch. For some I know it is something they like and indeed I do on occasion but for a brush in this bracket it would be nice to see a high density super with cloud soft tips. Also consider HMW or Mancurian perhaps. I would be happy if I had to pay a little bit more for that luxury.
I can however appreciate it is only my personal preference.
Now if this was in a 26mm with my preferred knot I would definitely consider purchasing.

I like the heft of the handle but again would prefer a larger diameter. The jury is open for me with regards to the rather sharp brim created at the top of the handle. I can see it is ergonomic for the fingers.
This brush is not suitable for bowl lathering IMO but does an excellent job face lathering.
I do feel overall it is aesthetically pleasing and matches the razor perfectly. Excellent engineering.
I am aware of the razor stand you can buy but is there a Razor/Brush combo stand on the horizon?
Now that I would like to see.

Thank you @TATARA RAZORS & @Nishy for the opportunity it was most enjoyable.

Does this go back to you now Avnish?
Please PM me with your instructions.

Wayne. :)

Last edited: