Tabac Convert

Steve56

Forum GOD!
Oh, I did a face lather too, loaded the Tulip 2 for about 20-25 seconds. The lather seemed dry so I was trying to dribble some water into the knot and accidentally dumped about a teaspoon into it. The Tulip 2 knot isn’t huge and I thought that I’d have to load more soap, but it ate up that water easily and the lather was still stable. It seemingly will take a lot of water with no complaints.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Fair dinkum Steve. ... Tobacco has never been the slickest soap in stable but with recent debacle czech and speake had and couple other soaps tumbling down. I wasn't taking chances and ordered 8 pucks.... just in case.

Steve56

Forum GOD!
Yes, Czech and Speaks made a bath soap by mistake. Whether one likes the new Tabac I believe, is just a matter of personal taste, not function.

R181

Grumpy old man
Fair dinkum Steve. ... Tobacco has never been the slickest soap in stable but with recent debacle czech and speake had and couple other soaps tumbling down. I wasn't taking chances and ordered 8 pucks.... just in case.
Yes, I think that is part of the initial aversion to a reformulated shaving soap not containing tallow is that so many makers screwed the pooch in the remake. Nothing wrong with a tallow or veggie based soap so long as you get it right in the first place. It will take a while for those gun shy of reformulations to veggie to get over it if enough favourable reviews get posted. The net is the new word of mouth advertising that actually sells a product.

Bob

Malc6552

WS-D2 Masamune
After giving the new version a try I'll be ordering more old stock, I found the new version disappointing.

Steve56

Forum GOD!
The difference between the old and new is not that great - M&W did a good job with the replacement. I believe that tallow soap lathers do have a little different face feel than palm/coconut oil lathers, but really this is splitting hairs IMHO, at least as long as the performance is the same.

The gentlemen in Europe may not need to consider this, but if you’re in a warmer clime and are stockpiling a tallow soap, I’d suggest that you consider refrigerating it as a hedge against losing your investment. I am in the southern US where the climate is tropical in summer and summer is noticeably longer now. The idea of a 10-year old tallow soap that’s been stored at ambient temperature is kind of scary. Old, stale bacon anyone? That said, my 10-year old jar of Tabac is doing just fine, but it’s something to think about.

Anyway, tallow Tabac up this Sunday morning; I did switch off the Filly for my Sunday shaver, a Swedish Heljestrand with a fresh edge. There was a little more smoky purse and the lather feel is slightly different. Results were the same for me, both excellent.

351A87B2-07E5-436E-9B05-4BBE9DB80A07.jpeg
E0BF8328-5D76-4C60-89AA-4E78A64068D8.jpeg

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
First things first, I’ve never been a ‘Tabaconist’ and could care less about tallow so I don’t have a dog in the race. I’ve used all sorts of shaving soaps over ten+ years from the cheapest to the most expensive.

TL;DR: Honestly I like it a bit better than the old based on fragrance and slickness. The performance is about the same. The new version is slicker. Fragrance intensity is a little less than the old which was ‘eye watering’ to me, but the new is still stout. Fragrance is a little less ‘smoky granny’s bingo purse’ but it’s still there. The fragrance seems to me closer to the AS than the old version, and I like the AS. It lathers easily and rinses cleanly. I’m more likely to use the new version than the old.

Price: $14.99 US at Pasteur’s. About mid-range for a quality European soap in the US these days.

Fragrance intensity: Slightly less. I had to air out my 10-year old tallow puck when it was new and could smell it in the second room over. The new non-tallow puck I have to be in the same room with and it’s new of course. The tallow soap scent intensity was the main reason I never used it much though YNMV (your nose may vary), and the scent it stayed in the brush and interfered with other soap scents for 2-3 days.

Fragrance: Granny’s smoky bingo purse is still there but noticeably less, possibly lessened because of the lack of tallow smell? To me, the fragrance of the new soap is closer to the AS (which I like) than the tallow soap. The new fragrance wins for me.

Ease of Lathering: Excellent. I’m using a Simpson’s Tulip 2 to test, and a Tulip 2 will lather a brick, so if there’s a lather problem it isn’t the brush. I initially used the puck fresh and dry, no bloom, and it lathered up very similarly to the tallow version.

Quality of lather: Great. Stable slick lather. Maybe a little less lofty than the tallow version but to me not much difference. Residual slickness is about average. Shaved skin needs a wipe with wet fingers if it starts drying but I didn’t have to re-lather (a straight razor doesn’t need a coating of lather on the face). Slickness isn’t as good as SV beta 4.3 or the new version of ABC, but Tabac is half the price. It’s also not as slick as Pre de Provence which is about the same price. It delivered a great shave, absolutely nothing to complain about. The image below is bowl lathered and still has a few whipped-in air bubbles but it is not an airy lather.

View attachment 102465

I recently did a comparison of the old ABC and the new ABC hard soaps. They are different soaps in that the lather feels different on your face, but they both perform not much differently. And the new ABC is slicker. I believe that this is also true of the old and new Tabac.

Who should consider non-tallow Tabac: Everyone, especially SR users who like less intense scents (though it’s still strong). Performance difference is a non-issue.

Who should pass: Hard-core tallow Tabaconists for whom tallow is required, or those who have given both a fair shake made up their minds.

View attachment 102466
Bravo, a really well considered shaving soap review. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.

thehaverl

Forum GOD!
Sign of the times.

My 5x Tabac order from UK to Ireland, stopped in Irish Customs, and returned, that process took 4-6 weeks or so.
Then after about 8-10 weeks I got a refund.

My thought process has changed, to no more Tabac once I finished this current soap ( onto the death ring now ), a shame, since I got the bowl to use for more soaps - sigh.

I am thinking about adding to my MdC collection - got 2 of them.

Fozzie Bear

Forum Clod!
Sign of the times.

My 5x Tabac order from UK to Ireland, stopped in Irish Customs, and returned, that process took 4-6 weeks or so.
Then after about 8-10 weeks I got a refund.

My thought process has changed, to no more Tabac once I finished this current soap ( onto the death ring now ), a shame, since I got the bowl to use for more soaps - sigh.

I am thinking about adding to my MdC collection - got 2 of them.
Howdy, chemistconnect.ie still have some Tabac Refills and are based in Ireland.
I got a couple a few weeks ago and they are the old formula.

D

Deleted member 2936

I would just like to pick your brains and double check, I got some tabac and the shaving cream doesn't make mention of tallow on the ingredients list, is that standard or is this like some newer formula?