Switching Broadband provider........

Grarea

Forum Plod
Can I please ask a question to see if I have got my facts right.
My brain is a bit fried as I have also been doing the energy supplier comparison thing.
Such fun.

I think the question that I am asking is:
If I move from BT to Plusnet, do they use the same 'pipes'?
As in, will I get the same speed broadband?

The BT guy reckons Plusnet use copper.
The plusnet guy reckons it will be the same.

The BT guy says they don't use traffic management.
Plusnet guy says they do to make it fairer (I think).

I see Plusnet are owned by BT anyway, so don't they just use the same pipes?
My pipes limit me to 20-27 mps as it is.
Is there any difference?

Even having a ponder over a shave didn't help.
Cheers.

missingskin

Forum GOD!
Well I can answer one question BT do use traffic management my speed can drop 10 meg at busy periods. BT (and others) use fibre up to the nearest green cabinet then you are on copper wiring. This is if you go for a fibre set up. The only main provider that is different is Virgin as they have their own fibre network.
Plusnet should be able to give you an accurate speed in they have your number anyhow..........
@Grarea

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Have a look at Zen, very good service with minimal hassle.
Zen indeed! Happy customer for many years... I wouldn't dream of switching... They actually answer the phone promptly and know what I'm talking about (when I need to call them once every few years, like when BT switched the cables of my phone line and a neighbour's) - they don't even freak out when I tell them which router I'm using...

Rolatruck

Veteran
You will probably find that Plusnet and BT would provide the same speed, no matter who the providor is they atill use the same lines, apart from Virgin who as someone mentioned have a fibre network.

I switched from BT to Plusnet and my speed didnt change, also Plusnet have UK call centres which is one of the reasons i switched from BT who were dire when it came to customer service. In most cases the thing that usually determines your speed is the distance you are from the exchange.

If you go the respective providors websites and put your phone number in you should get an estimated speed.

Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
You will probably find that Plusnet and BT would provide the same speed, no matter who the providor is they atill use the same lines, apart from Virgin who as someone mentioned have a fibre network.

I switched from BT to Plusnet and my speed didnt change, also Plusnet have UK call centres which is one of the reasons i switched from BT who were dire when it came to customer service. In most cases the thing that usually determines your speed is the distance you are from the exchange.

If you go the respective providors websites and put your phone number in you should get an estimated speed.
And the distance on fibre to the little green BT curb side boxes. I could throw a tennis ball and hit the one nearest us. I get a 70mg connection most of the time. If it does drop a switch on and off of the box soon sorts that out.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Great stuff, thanks all for that.
I looked at Zen as well. Always good to have another name.
They all seem to say the same speeds which confirms (as you are saying) that it is the pipe size.
It is nice that no one is saying NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or such like.

I shall shift over to Plusnet I think.
Almost half the price for the same service. AND I understood the guy on the other end of the line.

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
Just hit the last month of my Virgin contract. New price a third higher than the contracted price. :cursing: Rang them up. Not up for a bit of negotiation or sharpening their pencils for a better deal.

After 9 years as a customer. May be time for a change. One last option would be to give notice and see if the retention ninjas fight to keep the business :eek:

After a quick search - Talk Talk and Plusnet seem to be the the better alternatives, based purley on price. Have any of you guys experienced their services?

One big problem with being with Virgin for so long is that you get spoilt by their great fibre/broadband speeds.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Just hit the last month of my Virgin contract. New price a third higher than the contracted price. :cursing: Rang them up. Not up for a bit of negotiation or sharpening their pencils for a better deal.

After 9 years as a customer. May be time for a change. One last option would be to give notice and see if the retention ninjas fight to keep the business :eek:

After a quick search - Talk Talk and Plusnet seem to be the the better alternatives, based purley on price. Have any of you guys experienced their services?

One big problem with being with Virgin for so long is that you get spoilt by their great fibre/broadband speeds.
If you ever need to talk to Plusnet (once or twice in a blue moon for me) then put aside 20-30 minutes before you'll get through. I've never spoken to anyone faster than 20 minutes, but they are in England so you'll understand them (well Yorkshire so it can be a bit of a struggle for us southerners :D) but they are fairly cheap. However, I got a better deal with Vodafone - faster a a little cheaper than Plusnet.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I have had no complaints with plusnet.
When I rung up, I got through pretty quick actually.
Yes, nice to speak to an English person.

I also took one of their mobile deals.
I have forgotten which network they use, but I was pretty pleased with that deal.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Sky Fibre here. Completely faultless in the 8 years I have had it.
AFAIK "they" all use the same infrastructure. BT maintain it all. Changing supplier does not change "cables."
If I have a fault with my "sky" line, it will be a BT engineer that comes to fix it...
Bonus is that Sky are "upgrading" some customers to the MAX 68Mbps download, (hidden agenda somewhere?) and my exchange was done last week. I am currently enjoying a 51Mbps download speed at 4 miles away from the exchange.

I seriously can't fault Sky, they are also based in the UK, Scottish call centre at the last phone call (faulty, overheating Router)