SV brush video review and Shavemac VLB ramblings

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
^^ Some lovely lather there, Avnish.

I will add a short presentation video I prepared an hour or so earlier.
Summary of first impressions on the brush will follow.

View: https://youtu.be/66PWEqPTvRw

The brush is really unbelievable and has a truly stunning presence. The hairs you touch and feel them starting from the bottom of the knot and going up towards the tips, and it is the only brush in which I have felt as if I am touching real silk. The knot overall is highly luxurious and softness takes precedence over anything else.

Free loft is 50mm but the brush has medium backbone and the net result is you feel as if you are holding a brush with much longer loft. The backbone level makes this brush an all-rounder, today I used it for face lather with a soft artisan soap but I am sure it can do bowl lather fine after loading from a hard soap puck. People who like strong backbone will not prefer this brush.

The knot retains a large amount of water, at the end of the shave I squeezed it and lot of water came straight out. However the way the knot is managing that water, i.e. water flow through, is superb (initial first impression). The handle and the brush as a set will shock you when you first hold it in your hands. Some of the disadvantages include the poor packaging (pictures later), and the tin/aluminium/plastic collar which can scratch your face if you ever want to put directly on your face some of the lather that collects there.

Brush cost around €165+p&p from the ShaveLounge and I would happily sell one of my Thäters in order to buy another SV if I wanted to go back into badger brushes. All in all my first and preliminary opinion is that this brush is well worth the money it costs.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
^^ Some lovely lather there, Avnish.

I will add a short presentation video I prepared an hour or so earlier.
Summary of first impressions on the brush will follow.

View: https://youtu.be/66PWEqPTvRw

The brush is really unbelievable and has a truly stunning presence. The hairs you touch and feel them starting from the bottom of the knot and going up towards the tips, and it is the only brush in which I have felt as if I am touching real silk. The knot overall is highly luxurious and softness takes precedence over anything else.

Free loft is 50mm but the brush has medium backbone and the net result is you feel as if you are holding a brush with much longer loft. The backbone level makes this brush an all-rounder, today I used it for face lather with a soft artisan soap but I am sure it can do bowl lather fine after loading from a hard soap puck. People who like strong backbone will not prefer this brush.

The knot retains a large amount of water, at the end of the shave I squeezed it and lot of water came straight out. However the way the knot is managing that water, i.e. water flow through, is superb (initial first impression). The handle and the brush as a set will shock you when you first hold it in your hands. Some of the disadvantages include the poor packaging (pictures later), and the tin/aluminium/plastic collar which can scratch your face if you ever want to put directly on your face some of the lather that collects there.

Brush cost around €165+p&p from the ShaveLounge and I would happily sell one of my Thäters in order to buy another SV if I wanted to go back into badger brushes. All in all my first and preliminary opinion is that this brush is well worth the money it costs.
Nice write up @N_Architect :thumbsup: I totally agree with you. Worth every penny. :D