Summer Heat

chazt

Forum !
Reprieve! All windows have been thrown wide open! Fresh, dry air is circulating through the house. Currently 72F, 41% relative humidity. The sky is crisp, clean and blue with puffy white fair weather clouds floating above. Now, off to wash the smelly pooch :)

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
Reprieve! All windows have been thrown wide open! Fresh, dry air is circulating through the house. Currently 72F, 41% relative humidity. The sky is crisp, clean and blue with puffy white fair weather clouds floating above. Now, off to wash the smelly pooch :)
Yes
If the entire summer was like today, I'd be a happy camper!!

Cheekee

Forum GOD!
The heat in the UK is crazy right now. Hit around 32 degrees celsius (89 F) which I know to some of you is normal in summer but its the kind of heat and how it makes you feel. Couldn't sleep after my night shift.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I’ve not slept properly for three days, I’m getting past myself now.:cry:
Not been sleeping great but that’s mostly the jet lag I think. But having been sleeping with air con for three weeks and coming back to this heat it’s certainly a contributing factor. I was awake at 3:30 ish this morning and got up at 5:30. I just quietly milled around, putting washing on and hanging it out to dry and a few tidy up jobs, so I have gained points with Mrs Saint. Just had nodded off for an hour in arm chair, that needs to stop.

R181

Grumpy old man
But having been sleeping with air con for three weeks and coming back to this heat it’s certainly a contributing factor.
You hit the nail on the head. Air Con is the only way to deal with high heat and humidity if you want a decent nights sleep. I worked in a pulp mill my entire life and it took me till age 35 to throw in the towel and install air con at home in order to get some decent sleep after shift work. When you spend your entire 12 hour shift working in high heat and humidity you really need a break from it at home. Never regretted spending the money on air con for the home.

Bob

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
You hit the nail on the head. Air Con is the only way to deal with high heat and humidity if you want a decent nights sleep. I worked in a pulp mill my entire life and it took me till age 35 to throw in the towel and install air con at home in order to get some decent sleep after shift work. When you spend your entire 12 hour shift working in high heat and humidity you really need a break from it at home. Never regretted spending the money on air con for the home.

Bob
Happily in the UK it's rare that you need aircon at home, this is the fourth day of hot weather and it's due to cool down again tomorrow, hopefully that should be it for the year. The downside of the hot spells being rare is that you don't get chance to acclimate to the heat and we don't have aircon because most of the time you don't need it.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Happily in the UK it's rare that you need aircon at home, this is the fourth day of hot weather and it's due to cool down again tomorrow, hopefully that should be it for the year. The downside of the hot spells being rare is that you don't get chance to acclimate to the heat and we don't have aircon because most of the time you don't need it.
I was having a chat with someone while on holiday and they said they had seen it was hot over here. Of course they said “but you don’t have air con”. No we have heating as we never have such hot weather was the reply. Our friend had hers on over there 24/7, scared to ask what that costs, but she has a roof full of solar panels.

R181

Grumpy old man
I don't think you ever really get acclimated to hot and humid weather unless possibly it is that way year round. There is also the chance that the climate is changing and hot and humid weather may not be as rare in the UK in the future as it is today.

I live in Northwestern Ontario and it's climate is different than Southern Ontario. We get temperatures ranging from -35C to +35C winter to summer. In the past we had few hot and humid days but that has changed so many people have central air con installed now as well as the always present central heating. On the other hand, Southern Ontario has always been known for it's hot and humid summers and milder winters with less snow than us.

Trust me, -35C with a windchill that makes it feel like -40C outside is not some thing you get acclimated to either. It is just as miserable as high heat and humidity. You just put up with it for short periods of time outside if you can.

Bob

Vacumatic

Testy
I was having a chat with someone while on holiday and they said they had seen it was hot over here. Of course they said “but you don’t have air con”. No we have heating as we never have such hot weather was the reply. Our friend had hers on over there 24/7, scared to ask what that costs, but she has a roof full of solar panels.

I have a friend from California who works for a US bank, they pay his utility bills (and rent) for his Canary Wharf apartment, when he returns home in the winter he turns his heating DOWN to 70f when he is away.

I sympathise with Bob in his winter temperatures, I have driven in -25c and being inside a heated car was bad enough.

I was in Scotland with my dog at a hotel, the temperature went down to -11c, I took her for a morning pee on her lead, she wasn't keen, she pulled me back to the hotel at a speed that would have beaten Usain Bolt.

Looking forward to some rain on Monday, just too hot.

Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I have a friend from California who works for a US bank, they pay his utility bills (and rent) for his Canary Wharf apartment, when he returns home in the winter he turns his heating DOWN to 70f when he is away.

I sympathise with Bob in his winter temperatures, I have driven in -25c and being inside a heated car was bad enough.

I was in Scotland at a hotel and the temperature went down to -11c, I took her for a morning pee on her lead, she wasn't keen, but she pulled me back to the hotel at a speed that would have beaten Usain Bolt.

Looking forward to some rain on Monday, just too hot.
Our friend keeps the temp the same 70 all year. Every room has a built in vent and there are ceiling light/fans. The pool was great for cooling off too. This is like you say, just too hot, wouldn’t be as bad if there was a good way here to cool down. The rain will be a welcome freshener.