Pass Around Straight razor

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
FB_IMG_1549124648440.jpg
3 razors and strop arrived yesterday, I thought I'd start with the Aristocrat as I'm in Sheffield.

Felt like it tugged a bit, I did strop before shaving, about 50 on the canvas and 50 on leather. Took my time as I didn't want to roll the edge, no idea if I'm doing it right but it looked like it does in the video's.

So away I went on the cheeks, a lot of audio feedback so it sounded like it was cutting, it felt like it was cutting, and there was hair in the lather as I wiped the blade on the sponge between strokes, but there was still a lot of stubble on my cheeks. Maybe its my technique. I stropped some more post shave, 80 canvas and 80 leather, no weight just letting the blade move up and down. Let's see what it's like tomorrow.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
2nd go with the aristocrat and it still feels like it drags a bit. It a definitely cutting hairs as I can see the stubble in the lather I wipe off, but its just not a particularly close shave so I finish up with a DE.

Tomorrow I'll try one of the others.
IMG_20190203_174730_581.jpg

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
1st go with the friodur. Same kinda thing, it sounds like it's cutting, there's stubble in the shaving lather I wipe off the blade, but its not a particularly close shave.

Had a couple of wtg passes and still no closer. I get there's technique to learn, especially around the chin, but I'd expected a closer shave on the cheeks.

Basically at the moment I'm taking twice as long to get a shave as half as good as with a DE.

Still, I prefer this blade to the aristocrat.
IMG_20190204_181017_175.jpg

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
If you're new to straight shaving then "taking twice as long to get a shave as half as good as with a DE" sounds about right. Incredibly steep learning curve with a straight razor. You need 100% commitment to learn art of the straight. I am by no means an expert, far, far from it, but it sounds like your angle is off, if you are finding that you get a dragging sensation. Either that or maybe you have dulled the edge through poor stropping...
Hard to say as I am a straight beginner myself, in fact I haven't used one for a few months..

Last edited: