Pass Around Straight razor

mbarno

Forum GOD!
First proper shave with the razors today.
I had 2 days of stubble, fresh out of the shower, and using Barrister & Mann Chypre. I used the B&M because it’s the only soap I’ve used up and re-bought, so know it very well.

I found the first pass rather uncomfortable with all of the razors, feeling like plucking rather than cutting, but settled on the Friodur, and soon realised a little pressure rather than feather touch helped me. I did 2 passes, managing to do all of my face and right side of my neck to a passable and comfortable level. Just under my nose was poor, and I gave myself a tiny weeper. Left side of my neck had significantly more stubble. Finished off with my Karve.

I enjoyed the shave and will rewatch a stropping video tonight to get the razors ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R181

Grumpy old man
I see this thread has been going on for a long time and it is a laudable effort to allow people to try using a straight razor without any out of pocket expense of buying the kit first.

That's said, I was wondering if people are not getting a good enough first experience as the razors seem to be passed on with nobody seeing to it that they remain shave ready for each use. I believe most in this tread are first time users and as such the shaving technique may be off as well as the stropping which can negatively effect the edge. That deterioration of the edge gets compounded as it is passed along. That can make for an unpleasant first shave with a straight razor and be off putting to anyone contemplating taking up the sport. A bit counter productive to encouraging the use of straight razors. Just a thought and not to throw cold water on the effort.

Bob

mbarno

Forum GOD!
I see this thread has been going on for a long time and it is a laudable effort to allow people to try using a straight razor without any out of pocket expense of buying the kit first.

That's said, I was wondering if people are not getting a good enough first experience as the razors seem to be passed on with nobody seeing to it that they remain shave ready for each use. I believe most in this tread are first time users and as such the shaving technique may be off as well as the stropping which can negatively effect the edge. That deterioration of the edge gets compounded as it is passed along. That can make for an unpleasant first shave with a straight razor and be off putting to anyone contemplating taking up the sport. A bit counter productive to encouraging the use of straight razors. Just a thought and not to throw cold water on the effort.

Bob
Ive just followed Geofatboy’s video on stropping, and after stropping he had a test where he trimmed arm hair sticking up from his skin, without touching his skin. I managed to do that with the Friodur. No idea if that means it’s in tip top shave ready form, but it’s a lot better at cutting hair than the shave I had earlier.
One shave in and I’m already considering buying one [emoji16]

R181

Grumpy old man
Ive just followed Geofatboy’s video on stropping, and after stropping he had a test where he trimmed arm hair sticking up from his skin, without touching his skin. I managed to do that with the Friodur. No idea if that means it’s in tip top shave ready form, but it’s a lot better at cutting hair than the shave I had earlier.
One shave in and I’m already considering buying one [emoji16]

There are quite a few test touted to show if a razor is shave ready or not but the real test is how it shaves. Ideally the shave should be smooth, effortless as in little to no pressure required, comfortable and close as with any other type of razor.

Stropping done properly should maintain the edge or even improve it a bit so it seems you did well as the Friodur works better than the other one.

If you do go the straight razor route and stick it out you will get great satisfaction from mastering the sport. Possibly even enjoy shaving even more and not view it as a chore. Have fun.

Bob

mbarno

Forum GOD!
Hi all.
I’m ready to pass the razors on to the next person.
I very much appreciate the opportunity to try the straight razors.
Thanks
Michael