Pass Around Straight razor

RSSO

Member #11
1st go with the friodur. Same kinda thing, it sounds like it's cutting, there's stubble in the shaving lather I wipe off the blade, but its not a particularly close shave.

Had a couple of wtg passes and still no closer. I get there's technique to learn, especially around the chin, but I'd expected a closer shave on the cheeks.

Basically at the moment I'm taking twice as long to get a shave as half as good as with a DE.

Still, I prefer this blade to the aristocrat.View attachment 42513
Can you please clarify some points in order to understand better
Are you going WTG only?
After shave are whisker same or you have some patches where blade skipped ?
Do you have burn or wipers after shave?

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
So I had the tugging before and after stropping, so it's likely to be angle. I've stropped but very slowly and made sure the spine never left the strop so I don't think I've dulled the edge.

I do stretch the skin, I've been going WTG only and I don't think the whiskers are the same, so maybe it is where the blade has skipped.

Slight burn after shaving in patches, but then I've been doing multiple passes WTG to try and get all the hairs.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
If you're new to straight shaving then "taking twice as long to get a shave as half as good as with a DE" sounds about right. Incredibly steep learning curve with a straight razor. You need 100% commitment to learn art of the straight. I am by no means an expert, far, far from it, but it sounds like your angle is off, if you are finding that you get a dragging sensation. Either that or maybe you have dulled the edge through poor stropping...
Hard to say as I am a straight beginner myself, in fact I haven't used one for a few months..
In order to get a decent shave with a straight razor I'd say give yourself 3 months/100 daily shaves to reach that point. If you have never used a straight razor before do not expect a very good shave the first go with it. It is much more demanding than shaving with a DE/SE in that everything must be right the whole way through and there are quite a few things that can be off. That is all perfectly normal at the start.

Bob

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
2nd attempt with the Friodur today as I had a busy week so didn't have time. I'm actually pretty pleased, I took my time and I managed a passable shave without the need to finish off with a DE.

Sure it's not perfect, but I think that's just a case of figuring out which way the hair grows and making sure I go over the correct way. I managed a WTG and XTG today, but there's definitely areas that to get really close I think I need to go ATG. I attempted it on my chin and the razor caught on the stubble and I cut myself... think I'll leave that for a while.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
2nd attempt with the Friodur today as I had a busy week so didn't have time. I'm actually pretty pleased, I took my time and I managed a passable shave without the need to finish off with a DE.

Sure it's not perfect, but I think that's just a case of figuring out which way the hair grows and making sure I go over the correct way. I managed a WTG and XTG today, but there's definitely areas that to get really close I think I need to go ATG. I attempted it on my chin and the razor caught on the stubble and I cut myself... think I'll leave that for a while.
Sounds very promising. I avoid ATG only shaving WTG and XTG. On my neck I shave N to S and then S to N. Technique and pressure as you have mentioned are key.

RSSO

Member #11

Great progress , well done over time you will see what fits you and give you best results, if you want to try ATG go cheek only leave chin and jaw for last.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Tried the Krahn today, and I had the tugging again. There was a lot of stubble left after each pass but I didn't really have the time today so finished off with a DE.

To be fair, I've used a different soap each time but my pre shave and routine has always been the same. Might give this a bit more of a strop before I use it next time.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Funny the difference a week makes. Today I used the Krahn a 2nd time and I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of it. Today's shave was just as good as a DE shave for me, better in some spots even.

Part of it is getting used to the different angles but part of it is a mind set. I read somewhere that the first pass is about hair reduction not complete removal with a straight. So I did a first pass, and in places it was patchy, but that's ok, the 2nd pass was easier as the hair was shorter and tugged less. I even managed a little ATG on my neck.

I generally felt less scared and more confident with the blade, which meant I could try more angles and cut hair confidently. I still cannot seem to get the hair right at the end of my chinny chin chin, but that'll take time to figure out the best way to hold the blade. I feel confident that before long I could get a BBS shave with a straight and have not cuts.

Well happy.

Plus the Oubliette smells amazing.
IMG_20190216_113242_285.jpg

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Straights have been disinfected and cleaned, also put a tiny spot of oil on the pins and lightly wiped the blades with oil.

All packed and ready to go, so who's next?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
The Krahn has to be one the smoothest shaved I own. Glad to hear it served you well. The chin takes complete trust between your technique, pressure and angle. This is why I prefer larder blades as the weight eliminates the need to apply extra pressure.