Straight Of The Day

Steve56

Forum GOD!
This Jonathan Crookes rattler came in a few days ago, another badly photographed eBay razor that no one was interested in except me. But apparently it’s NOS, never been used and in it’s original coffin. The horn scales are in good shape for around 175 years old, and the two slight mist spots cleaned up without pitting. It’s spent most of the time since its arrival with neatsfoot oil on the scales.

The stamp is a bit of a conundrum in trying to date the razor, it’s stamped ‘Sheffield‘ which many times means 1891 or later, but according to more experienced people like Neil Miller and Zak Jarvis, the Sheffield stamp appeared fairly often before that date. It also doesn’t have ‘and Son’ or ‘Eldon Street’ on the tang (but does have ‘and Son’ on the coffin), which would seem to put it in the late 1830s - early 1840s. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Soap and AS were Floris Elite and the Brush a M&F Finest.

EC536A4C-71ED-4982-8A81-AAA3500D1BD3.jpeg
C3068911-7CF8-4D87-B7CE-D656766C77FD.jpeg
8646DA44-24F9-49BD-AAA1-2FAAFEABA599.jpeg

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
This Jonathan Crookes rattler came in a few days ago, another badly photographed eBay razor that no one was interested in except me. But apparently it’s NOS, never been used and in it’s original coffin. The horn scales are in good shape for around 175 years old, and the two slight mist spots cleaned up without pitting. It’s spent most of the time since its arrival with neatsfoot oil on the scales.

The stamp is a bit of a conundrum in trying to date the razor, it’s stamped ‘Sheffield‘ which many times means 1891 or later, but according to more experienced people like Neil Miller and Zak Jarvis, the Sheffield stamp appeared fairly often before that date. It also doesn’t have ‘and Son’ or ‘Eldon Street’ on the tang (but does have ‘and Son’ on the coffin), which would seem to put it in the late 1830s - early 1840s. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Soap and AS were Floris Elite and the Brush a M&F Finest.

View attachment 104840View attachment 104841View attachment 104842
I think the point about ‘Sheffield’ alone as opposed to ‘Sheffield England’ is that it pre-dates the McKinley tariff act of c1892 which required the country of manufacture. So your assumption of an earlier date makes sense.

Edit- I didn’t look closely enough - the stamp includes England which, as you say, indicates post 1892.

Steve56

Forum GOD!
I think the point about ‘Sheffield’ alone as opposed to ‘Sheffield England’ is that it pre-dates the McKinley tariff act of c1892 which required the country of manufacture. So your assumption of an earlier date makes sense.

Edit- I didn’t look closely enough - the stamp includes England which, as you say, indicates post 1892.
Yes I agree Rob, it doesn’t really look that early. The ‘and Son’ partnership reportedly dissolved in the early 1840s though when Crookes senior retired, and there’s no reference to Eldon Street. I may try to contact Joan Unwin and Zak Jarvis and see if they can offer some insight.

I’m just curious of course, no complaints - it is a gorgeous razor.