Straight Of The Day

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
What is that material used on the handle? Did you wrap it yourself? Looks very cool and grippy.
It came like this from the maker. It’s a nylon cord. Very grippy indeed. On most kamisori, I prefer an unwrapped handle due to the likelihood of corrosion under the material. But this Tanaka is made out of stainless steel for everything but the ‘jigane’, the steel around the edge itself. It’s a nice razor, very individual to its blacksmith, Shigeki Tanaka.

Zhang Doe

Veteran
It came like this from the maker. It’s a nylon cord. Very grippy indeed. On most kamisori, I prefer an unwrapped handle due to the likelihood of corrosion under the material. But this Tanaka is made out of stainless steel for everything but the ‘jigane’, the steel around the edge itself. It’s a nice razor, very individual to its blacksmith, Shigeki Tanaka.
Thanks. And good point on risk of corrosion.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
Kanetake aogami, crafted by Norikazu Takahashi. A forge famous for its planes and chisels, and somehow this razor feels like that. The massive spike adds to this impression! It seem an exceptionally hard steel, and takes a very crisp, super-sharp edge. My challenge will be to give it a little more comfort to go along with this awesome sharpness.
AAF0CC27-9F76-40A6-9F4E-15B0380952C5.jpeg

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I wrap my own Kamisori and don’t worry about the corrosion risk as I can always remove the wrap and clean if necessary. However, you could always apply a barrier - perhaps a light oil or even lacquer if you think moisture is an issue.

Steve56

Legendary Member
I wrap my own Kamisori and don’t worry about the corrosion risk as I can always remove the wrap and clean if necessary. However, you could always apply a barrier - perhaps a light oil or even lacquer if you think moisture is an issue.
I’ve seen shrink wrap tubing used on kamisori under the wrappings to add a bit of color, but maybe a coat or two of cashew lacquer of your favorite color might do as well and be more traditional?

The new stone testing is ongoing, so I have not been posting SOTDs since they’re all the same and kind of boring, but when I’m done I’ll put up an image or two.

Last edited: