Straight Of The Day

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I have a question for my UK friends.
Many of you have lovely razors with beautiful custom scales. Who do you feel is the best in the UK to re-scale a razor?

Thanks, Bill

Last edited:

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
1-27-2021

Hot Towel Prep
D.R. Harris Arlington Shave Soap
Shavemac DO1 Two Band
Riga Custom 7/8
Scrupleworks Veggie Tanned Horse .. 30/50
Bloc Osma
Thayer's Witch Hazel .. Rose Petal
D.R. Harris Arlington AfterShave Splash

All Arlington today..
The Riga was touched up to the G20K Gokumyo. I'm getting on with that stone better all the time..
This Riga is a great shaver..

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
Casper, a great little shaver, gave it the exact same progression as your razor, I would advise you to do your normal stropping before use, I would be interested to hear how your shave went.
Happy to hear that! It looks like it would be a great shaver. I will report back! I will give it 50 licks on leather only.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
IMG_4856.jpg

A morning shave with my newly acquired Kanenaga. A lovely and supremely comfortable shave - thanks @JamieM !

To my knowledge, there are only two blacksmiths still working in Japan who make razors full-time. The famous one is of course Ryoichi Mizuochi of the Iwasaki workshop, located in Sanjo, Niigata prefecture, a renowned centre for metalwork. The other one operates out of Japan's second metalwork capital, Miki, in Hyogo prefecture. This is Osami Mizuike, who was trained by one of the Henkotsu blacksmiths. He sells his razors under the Kanenaga name, and also produces the razors for Banshu Hamono, a brand of high quality cutlery from this prefecture. Mizuike's chosen medium is Hitachi yellow paper steel (kigami), which is somewhat unusual for razors. Occasionally he will make a blue paper steel razor (aogami). I am really pleased to have been able to acquire one of his razors.

There are a few other blacksmiths still making razors in Japan of course, though they tend to do so alongside making kitchen knives, chisels, planes and kiridashi. I have decided I'd like to try and collect a razor from each of them over time. I still have some blades to look forward to!

Last edited:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
View attachment 84675

A morning shave with my newly acquired Kanenaga. A lovely and supremely comfortable shave - thanks @JamieM !

To my knowledge, there are only two blacksmiths still working in Japan who make razors full-time. The famous one is of course Ryoichi Mizuochi of the Iwasaki workshop, located in Sanjo, Niigata prefecture, a renowned centre for metalwork. The other one operates out of Japan's second metalwork capital, Miki, in Hyoto prefecture. This is Osami Mizuike, who was trained by one of the Henkotsu blacksmiths. He sells his razors under the Kanenaga name, and also produces the razors for Banshu Hamono, a brand of high quality cutlery from this prefecture. Mizuike's chosen medium is Hitachi yellow paper steel (kigami), which is somewhat unusual for razors. Occasionally he will make a blue paper steel razor (aogami). I am really pleased to have been able to acquire one of his razors.

There are a few other blacksmiths still making razors in Japan of course, though they tend to do so alongside making kitchen knives, chisels, planes and kiridashi. I have decided I'd like to try and collect a razor from each of them over time. I still have some blades to look forward to!

Casper, I'm more than pleased I could help out finding you this razor, I'm also pleased you liked the edge I produced. :)