Stones, Stamps, Labels and Provenance

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I've been reading up on these issues for a long long time. So, the question is, does a label on the stone itself, and opposed to just the box, or a stanp on a JNat, really confer exceptional quality?
Personally, I like the labels on a Thuringian or coticule. None of my JNats had stamps or Kanji (?). None of my top coticules have labels of any kind, except for the recently acquired "Old Rock."
I've read in the past how easy it would be for an unscrupulous seller to reproduce the labels, and even make them look old and worn, as if time had taken it's toll.. Do I think this happens?? I'd like to think not, but honestly, I just don't know.. It's certainly within the realm of possibility.
I see quite a few inexpensive JNats with stamps. I don't buy them, because I'm not educated enough in the stamps and what they mean, and I believe JNats are an area that can be dangerous for the uninformed or unwary.. often like myself, so I buy from known sellers.
That said, I've got some coticules with provenance that are good, but not great. And I've got stones of unknown origin that are as good as anything out there.

So, what does all this mean? I suppose I'm trying to say, don't be blinded by fancy names or labels... although, in the end, I suppose we all are... Each stone is an entity unto itself, and I suppose there is no answer to observing known characteristics, and frankly, just rolling the dice.

Last edited: