SS Tatara Razor.

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
I have now used my Tatara Masamune SB about a dozen shaves and my verdict is that this is the best build quality of all the razors I have tried. Weight and balance is perfect. And it looks great. Unforunately it's a tad mild for my taste. It takes a bit too much buffing to reach BBS. It's smooth, but not super smooth and overall it's a very good shaver, but for me not good enough. Blackbird and Rockwell 6s is my favorite razors. I prefer aggressive (or very effective) razors (#6 on Rockwell) and the Tatara Masamune is a little bild too mild. Don't get me wrong, it's not like DE89 but more like Rocca. The razor is probably on BST soon.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I have now used my Tatara Masamune SB about a dozen shaves and my verdict is that this is the best build quality of all the razors I have tried. Weight and balance is perfect. And it looks great. Unforunately it's a tad mild for my taste. It takes a bit too much buffing to reach BBS. It's smooth, but not super smooth and overall it's a very good shaver, but for me not good enough. Blackbird and Rockwell 6s is my favorite razors. I prefer aggressive (or very effective) razors (#6 on Rockwell) and the Tatara Masamune is a little bild too mild. Don't get me wrong, it's not like DE89 but more like Rocca. The razor is probably on BST soon.
Similar findings to my own @The Gentleman

gabzprime

Über Member
Is it as mild as #2 on Rockwell?

gabzprime

Über Member
No I would say it's more like a four or five people are on the estimating it is not as mild as people are saying it's a wonderful razor

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Its an interesting razor. Are there any US seller of this razor?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Managed to buy a Tatara Masamune SB from BST. I really like the razor. It won't give me a DFS after 2 passes. Very well engineered. Easy to find the correct cutting angle and well balanced (middle of razor) so that hard pressure is not necessary, reducing irritation. I was surprised that the plates were SS being light in the hand, but they do seem slimmer than most. I would say this razor provides more blade feel than the Mamba, slightly more than the Oristo and S1. Similar to the PILS, not as efficient. Lovely razor for a regular mild shave.

Sausage

Forum GOD!
I had Tatara open comb. It was beautiful but damn that razor burn due to mildness. Same thing happened to me with Feather asd2. I sold both.

Matador

Über Member
Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow, I bought one last week, I heard nothing but good things about it.
Right now one of my favorite razors is the Blackbird and according with the reviews Tatara feels and perform in a similar way ( hope the rumors are true this time ).
We will see.
Nice pics btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
Well that's interesting...I didn't find it had anything much at all in common with the Blackbird. Efficient but much milder feel. Not quite as efficient on my beard, but much more proficient ATG on my head than the Blackbird. I traded the Bird.
Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow, I bought one last week, I heard nothing but good things about it.
Right now one of my favorite razors is the Blackbird and according with the reviews Tatara feels and perform in a similar way ( hope the rumors are true this time ).
We will see.
Nice pics btw

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Well that's interesting...I didn't find it had anything much at all in common with the Blackbird. Efficient but much milder feel. Not quite as efficient on my beard, but much more proficient ATG on my head than the Blackbird. I traded the Bird.
Ditto
Miles apart in my view

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
We will see.
Nice pics btw

Nothing at all like the blackbird IMO either. Blackbird smooth and very efficient, Tatara not efficient at all and quite rough with it...

Matador

Über Member
Agreed is hard to beat the Blackbird, I usually pick mine over my Wolfman most of times.
See thats one of the reasons I’m so intrigued about it, yet the reviews I read were from a different forum, anyways we’ll see tomorrow for sure.
Even if is not comparable with Blackbird I have high expectations from it.
In terms of aggressiveness I like at the most
.74 which is my Wolfman, so I’m not a super aggressive gap fan.
.74 gap is the peak point of comfort and performance for me according with my skin.
Even if it get close to my timeless .68 in terms of efficiency I’ll be happy.