Spirituality, Mediation, Prayer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2936

Most people don’t meditate but practice the opposite, they concentrate on keeping the mind still, a battle almost impossible to win. You can’t learn this on the net, a good teacher might. But a good start might be take a look at insighttimer.com
will check out that site thanks

btw whats that outfit those orange robe things the buddhists wear?

also do they wear it all the time or just in the temples?

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
i ask as from what ive seen some of those guys who do these breathing meditation exerecises seem to be able to hold their breath from long

or its just that with my asthma my lungs are very weak lol
I do breath differently than most people I know. I forgot the name of a breath taken where your belly moves out as you breathe in. I’ll look it up. I was shown how to breath this way when I was talking Kung fu. To our surprise, I already breathed that way.

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
Many moons ago i would meditate on a regular basis and attended a group once a week, as well as meditating in the house.
As time went on i was doing it less & less as the stresses of my job took over.
i am still interested in it and read a lot but don’t meditate nearly enough.
I actually spent a few weeks at a Buddha retreat down in the borders, the same one that David Bowie stayed,
As stated above most people never reach Meditation so i wanted to make sure i could do it properly.
for anyone interested in This sort of stuff have a look at this website

I could tell you the whole story of samye ling and what happens there but your better of with the site.
By the way its free to visit

D

Deleted member 2936

I do breath differently than most people I know. I forgot the name of a breath taken where your belly moves out as you breathe in. I’ll look it up. I was shown how to breath this way when I was talking Kung fu. To our surprise, I already breathed that way.
Yea I seen they do like really heavy breathing from the stomach make like a whistling sort of sound too

D

Deleted member 2936

If I'm not mistaken, it's called diaphragmatic breathing. Using the diaphragm rather than the lungs. Not as easy as it sounds.. I naturally raise my lungs instead of the diaphragm. But, diaphragmatic breathing is proven to quiet the mind..
Yea I tried the win hof guided breathing but was hard although I finished it, then again my lungs are weak due to my asthma

D

Deleted member 2936

Many moons ago i would meditate on a regular basis and attended a group once a week, as well as meditating in the house.
As time went on i was doing it less & less as the stresses of my job took over.
i am still interested in it and read a lot but don’t meditate nearly enough.
I actually spent a few weeks at a Buddha retreat down in the borders, the same one that David Bowie stayed,
As stated above most people never reach Meditation so i wanted to make sure i could do it properly.
for anyone interested in This sort of stuff have a look at this website

I could tell you the whole story of samye ling and what happens there but your better of with the site.
By the way its free to visit
Are you a Buddhist?

Do you have to be a Buddhist to go to the temple?

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
Are you a Buddhist?

Do you have to be a Buddhist to go to the temple?
No i’m not a Buddhist i’m not anything really,
it was just a stage in my life at that time,
But i guess at that time the aim was probably to be a Buddhist or not so much be one but life the life they let.

Anyone can go to the Temple at any time, there’s no restrictions, infact there is a lot of Buddhist teachings going on & it’s open to the general public.
You can wander about quite freely.
Definitely worth a visit

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
that place looks big, where is it?
It’s in the Scottish Borders not to far from Lockerbie.
At one time it was the biggest Buddhist monks temple in the western world.
it possibly still is i’m unsure.
David Bowie stayed there for a bit including some other celebrities.
The Dalai Lama has visited on a number of occasions

D

Deleted member 2936

It’s in the Scottish Borders not to far from Lockerbie.
At one time it was the biggest Buddhist monks temple in the western world.
it possibly still is i’m unsure.
David Bowie stayed there for a bit including some other celebrities.
The Dalai Lama has visited on a number of occasions
wow wouldnt have thought such a big temple was in scotland, are there a lot of buddhists in scotland?

i do really like some aspects of buddhism especially the philosophy and quotes etc

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
Yes i like all the aspects myself although i don’t practice it, just more of an interest.
I actually can’t remember why this temple exists.
It was something to do with expanding their faith in the world but i can’t quite remember but i’m sure there was something sinister as in The monks had to flee do to killings and settled in Scotland.
The place itself is huge & free to walk around,
You can go in to the temple at any time but obviously the best time to go is when they are doing lessons which are daily & free.
A friend of mine lived there for a few years that’s the reason i know it.
Definitely worth a visit