Spirituality, Mediation, Prayer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2936

hey so I was wondering anyone into spirituality, meditating or prayer?

I do try to pray and I find prayer helps me sometimes with discipling myself

whenever I try to meditate I tend to hyperventilate and get panic attacks

for those of you know are into mindfulness and meditation do you have any tips?

Also I hear conflicting things, some people say it's about quieting the mind and some say it's about observing the thoughts, is there any that's better or is it just personal preferences?

Sorry for my ignorance I'm just not clued up

p.b

Forum GOD!
have you tried guided meditation? That should answer the question "some people say it's about quieting the mind and some say it's about observing the thoughts, is there any that's better or is it just personal preferences?"

D

Deleted member 2936

have you tried guided meditation? That should answer the question "some people say it's about quieting the mind and some say it's about observing the thoughts, is there any that's better or is it just personal preferences?"
Yea many times, the last one I tried was wim hofs guided meditation/breathing on YouTube

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tybOi4hjZFQ

Do you meditate?

On a ide note, I did download headspace and calm after being told about then from mental health professionals but can't really get into it

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I meditate daily.
I wouldn’t call myself spiritually.
There are so many ways to meditate.
If you’re new to meditation a guided one might help take the intent and direction out of your hands simplifying it. I sometimes find things I do during the day, like shaving, to be calming and relaxing.
My advice is to set time aside for it and the rest should follow.

D

Deleted member 2936

Your favourite store has a book you can read in bed about it ( if you have bought the book stand)
funny you post about prayer beads,
I actually collect prayer beads as a sort of hobby and also have digital clickers which are used as prayer beads just to keep count if the amount if prayers

I got a nice big one but mrs ain't letting me put it up on the wall, I got it cheap, I thought it was going to be decent size but it's fairly large size beads lol

about buddhism I did watch a video on YouTube about a monk talking about night routine, e akes some good points about how nowadays we use or bedroom as a living room, dining room etc etc ten when it comes to sleeping it's hard to just snap out if it essential, was interesting and good points tbf

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b47Wz6odqek

D

Deleted member 2936

I meditate daily.
I wouldn’t call myself spiritually.
There are so many ways to meditate.
If you’re new to meditation a guided one might help take the intent and direction out of your hands simplifying it. I sometimes find things I do during the day, like shaving, to be calming and relaxing.
My advice is to set time aside for it and the rest should follow.
What time if the day do you do it? Is it a set time or whenever you feel like it?

How exactly do you meditate?

I do defo need to learn to slow my brain down as it goes a million miles per hour tbh

Charcoal

Around noon everyday
How do I? I started when I was 18 and I’m 52 now. I don’t think telling you how I meditate will help here. But you can make it what you want. If you wanna focus your thought on one thing or a million things it’s your time.
People even meditate on becoming nothing. They still their mind until there is no thought and no self. I don’t recommend it to anyone thou. It’s freaking terrifying.
Some start with breathing. The first meditation i learned was how to breathe, using your entire lungs capacity, with a count of seven breathing in and seven out. Just focus on the breath with a nice slow count and relax into it.

Charcoal

A seven count in then hold for seven and out for seven is another way. I prefer this more than the earlier way I said.
In yoga there’s a ratio used to control the breathing with counts. It’s something like two in one hold and four out. So a 2/1/4 for instance a six in, three hold, and twelve out. My wife told me the ratio last night and I don’t remember it exactly. She has taught yoga in the past for many years.

D

Deleted member 2936

I don't really know anything about him or is teachings and beliefs, I think some of you spiritual people may know of him,

Thich Nhat Hanh has passed away a few weeks ago

Seen even Russell brand did a vid about him and his passing few weeks back

Can anyone tell me about Thich Nhat Hanh? Is he a Buddhist or a pagan?

D

Deleted member 2936

Around noon everyday
How do I? I started when I was 18 and I’m 52 now. I don’t think telling you how I meditate will help here. But you can make it what you want. If you wanna focus your thought on one thing or a million things it’s your time.
People even meditate on becoming nothing. They still their mind until there is no thought and no self. I don’t recommend it to anyone thou. It’s freaking terrifying.
Some start with breathing. The first meditation i learned was how to breathe, using your entire lungs capacity, with a count of seven breathing in and seven out. Just focus on the breath with a nice slow count and relax into it.
I don't get the point of meditating on nothing

I mean I can understand trying to silent the mind occasionally to get away from the hustle and bustle of life

If you believe in the devil as I do, I'd personally think thinking of nothing or nothingness as a tool for the devil to deviate you from the God and his remembrance, essentially wasting your time

D

Deleted member 2936

A seven count in then hold for seven and out for seven is another way. I prefer this more than the earlier way I said.
In yoga there’s a ratio used to control the breathing with counts. It’s something like two in one hold and four out. So a 2/1/4 for instance a six in, three hold, and twelve out. My wife told me the ratio last night and I don’t remember it exactly. She has taught yoga in the past for many years.
Do you find your general breathing has got better to these meditation exercises?

D

Deleted member 2936

Gotten better? I don’t think so? I’ve been doing some sort of meditation since I was a young boy, so not that I’m aware of.
i ask as from what ive seen some of those guys who do these breathing meditation exerecises seem to be able to hold their breath from long

or its just that with my asthma my lungs are very weak lol