Sourdough anyone?

slapo

It's... alive!
Many thanks for the directions, unfortunately I've been trying to make sourdough for days now, but I always end at stage 3, I (might) have a problem...

It makes bubbles for a while, then stays still (sourdough cycle I guess); did try with a pinch of sugar to boost the process, tried without it (just low refined flour and water), at some point a slightly acid smell (like vinegar or off yogurt) comes from the mix, but then nothing.
A couple of questions before I attempt being helpful:
What flour (wheat/rye... white/wholemeal...) are you using?
Does the flour play well with active dry yeast?
Where do you keep the starter (cupboard, fridge...)?
What container do you keep the starter in?
Is the container close, open, or semi-open (e.g. a cloth on top)?

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
A couple of questions before I attempt being helpful:
What flour (wheat/rye... white/wholemeal...) are you using?
It's a low refined flour (wheat, beige colour)

Does the flour play well with active dry yeast?
I'd say not really, I mixed 50g of flour + the same amount of water, added the same proportion the day after, then 100g of flour + 100g of water, then withdrew the same amount and replace it, etc. It reacted sometimes (bubbles, slightly acid smell), then nothing. I gave another try and repeated the same process with a wee bit of sugar to start, but it wasn't satisfactory.

Where do you keep the starter (cupboard, fridge...)?
In the kitchen or in a cupboard (no draughts, besides temperature has been really high these days, about +30 degree Celsius outside)

What container do you keep the starter in?
A glass jar, cap on top and unscrewed

It seems everything was done by the book, yet the sourdough doesn't start... Any idea?

Shaver X

Forum GOD!

slapo

It's... alive!
It's a low refined flour (wheat, beige colour)
I'd suggest going with wholemeal rye.
This one's the one I tend to use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bacheldre-Watermill-Organic-Stoneground-Flour/dp/B005FPY5BK
(Waitrose stores tend to have it, too)
Wholemeal is likely to have some yeast on its bran, so it should be a bit more active.

I'd say not really, I mixed 50g of flour + the same amount of water, added the same proportion the day after, then 100g of flour + 100g of water, then withdrew the same amount and replace it, etc. It reacted sometimes (bubbles, slightly acid smell), then nothing. I gave another try and repeated the same process with a wee bit of sugar to start, but it wasn't satisfactory.
I meant yeast like this one:
https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/products/quick-yeast-1x125g - does it work well with the flour you're using?

In the kitchen or in a cupboard (no draughts, besides temperature has been really high these days, about +30 degree Celsius outside)
If it's that warm, I'd suggest mixing it in the morning, then checking on it around noon. If it's really active then, put it in the fridge. If not, check again in the evening.

I had two starters spoil in the cupboard where they overfermented in a just over half a day. From what you said, it's possible that yours went 'woohoo' early on, ate all the carbs in the flour and died off. However, if that were the case, you should be able to smell that, too (booze-like smell).

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I'd suggest going with wholemeal rye.
This one's the one I tend to use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bacheldre-Watermill-Organic-Stoneground-Flour/dp/B005FPY5BK
(Waitrose stores tend to have it, too)
Wholemeal is likely to have some yeast on its bran, so it should be a bit more active.

I meant yeast like this one:
https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/products/quick-yeast-1x125g - does it work well with the flour you're using?
I see, I did not use yeast but preferred to make sourdough directly by mixing flour and water. However, I ended up buying fresh baker yeast...

slapo

It's... alive!
I see, I did not use yeast but preferred to make sourdough directly by mixing flour and water. However, I ended up buying fresh baker yeast...
It's really just to test the flour. If it doesn't work well even with active dried yeast, then it's probably better to consider using a different flour.

This person goes and uses juice instead of water to give wild yeast more of a boost:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/233/wild-yeast-sourdough-starter

It might be worth trying out. Or I can give you some of my starter. :-D

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
It's really just to test the flour. If it doesn't work well even with active dried yeast, then it's probably better to consider using a different flour.

This person goes and uses juice instead of water to give wild yeast more of a boost:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/233/wild-yeast-sourdough-starter

It might be worth trying out. Or I can give you some of my starter. :-D
That's very kind of you, but I am in continental Europe at the moment. However, I do not despair and will give another try in a few weeks. My research on internet showed some recipes not with juice but fermented apples too.

slapo

It's... alive!
That's very kind of you, but I am in continental Europe at the moment. However, I do not despair and will give another try in a few weeks. My research on internet showed some recipes not with juice but fermented apples too.
If you'd like to persist, you can also try persisting with the procedure for a week or so and then try baking a loaf or making pancakes from the first half that would otherwise be discarded.

Also, you could 'cheat' a little by using a small amount of commercial yeast to kickstart the process. Whereabouts in continental Europe are you now, if you don't mind me asking?

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
If you'd like to persist, you can also try persisting with the procedure for a week or so and then try baking a loaf or making pancakes from the first half that would otherwise be discarded.

Also, you could 'cheat' a little by using a small amount of commercial yeast to kickstart the process. Whereabouts in continental Europe are you now, if you don't mind me asking?
France. Commercial yeast is likely available in supermarkets or organic food shops maybe. However, I did try for several days, sourdough just did not start (I probably must have got confused with water and flour proportions when refreshing the mixture). At the moment, the fresh baker yeast cube (it is sold in this form here) is still sitting in the fridge, untouched.

slapo

It's... alive!
France. Commercial yeast is likely available in supermarkets or organic food shops maybe. However, I did try for several days, sourdough just did not start (I probably must have got confused with water and flour proportions when refreshing the mixture). At the moment, the fresh baker yeast cube (it is sold in this form here) is still sitting in the fridge, untouched.
Try using a part of the cube to kick start the fermentation and you can develop sourdough from that.