Sourdough anyone?

slapo

It's... alive!
It might've overfermented, but still makes for nice bread. Just tried it out yesterday. :)
I'm also a non-drinker, so I'm somewhat sensitive to boozy smells.

Acer89

James
I keep my starter refrigerated and remove 24hrs before making a fresh loaf. I then replenish and leave for 24hrs hours at room temperature before incorporating the refreshed starter into my flour.

My starter has been active since June 2017

slapo

It's... alive!
I keep my starter refrigerated and remove 24hrs before making a fresh loaf. I then replenish and leave for 24hrs hours at room temperature before incorporating the refreshed starter into my flour.

My starter has been active since June 2017
What do you store yours in?

Acer89

James
What do you store yours in?
My starter is looking low at the mo. I removed 250g today for a bake. I'll refresh with 125g tomorrow and another 125g 24 hours before my next bake.
I always add 30% organic rye flour and 70% basic strong flour when refreshing. The starter really comes alive with the addition of a little organic rye
You'll find some good tips in the book.
DSC_5888.jpg

slapo

It's... alive!
My starter is looking low at the mo. I removed 250g today for a bake. I'll refresh with 125g tomorrow and another 125g 24 hours before my next bake.
I always add 30% organic rye flour and 70% basic strong flour when refreshing. The starter really comes alive with the addition of a little organic rye
You'll find some good tips in the book.
View attachment 46801
Yeah, using rye is like pumping it with steroids... mine is 100% rye. :-D

Last edited:

bugra101

Forum GOD!
I grow up on Sourdough bread. My granny used to make and that`s what we ate. Thats before all the artisans kicked in.

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
My process:
1. day: 50g flour + 50g water
2. day: previous day's amount + 50g flour + 50g water (i.e. double it what you had from the previous day)
3. day: previous day's amount + 100g flour + 100g water (i.e. double it again). If it's not active with rye or barley at this point... you might have a problem.
4. day: previous day's amount + 200g flour + 200g water (i.e. double it again). Even wheat should be pretty active now.
5. day: take half away and try baking it (or making flatbreads from it). Double the remaining amount, put it in the fridge.
12. day: it should now be gently active, either smelling pretty boozy or pretty fragrant... it varies. Repeat day 5 every on this day and every ~7 days.
Many thanks for the directions, unfortunately I've been trying to make sourdough for days now, but I always end at stage 3, I (might) have a problem...

It makes bubbles for a while, then stays still (sourdough cycle I guess); did try with a pinch of sugar to boost the process, tried without it (just low refined flour and water), at some point a slightly acid smell (like vinegar or off yogurt) comes from the mix, but then nothing.

S

Steve Bowles

The best sourdough in the world is found at the San Francisco Sourdough Factory. They've been making it daily for over 150 years :)

slapo

It's... alive!
The best sourdough in the world is found at the San Francisco Sourdough Factory. They've been making it daily for over 150 years :)
It would be nice to try it. I suspect that the best when it comes to food taste is even more of a personal preference than shaving related stuff, though.