SOTD - "Behind the scenes"

szekelya

Here's a setup I frequently use with rubberfoam sheets as a background. Sorry for the strange blurred thing at the behind the scene shot, it was resized to instagram like that.
The cigarette box served as a camera stand for my phone. For cropping and small modifications I was using snapseed. I find it amazingly powerful. Just learned that I can apply masks with it for any effects I've been using throughout the image editing.

IMG_20190616_150645_335.jpg
IMG_20190616_150645_329.jpg

szekelya

Two observations.

One is, that you shouldn't edit photos during the night, make sure there is natural light when retouching. Last night after the photo was basically ready to post, I made two subtle modifications. None of them seem to be visible now.
First I used Snapseed's vintage tool to give some blueish color to the background. To do so without changing the color of the razor and the brush, I went into the View Edits mode, where you can apply masks to the effects, and masked out the razor and the brush from the Vintage tool. In the darkness of the night that blueish background was nice, this morning at natural light it is not visible at all.
Then when I recognized that the razor looks as if it was a cutout from a B&W photo (I use the brush tool to desaturate reflections) I have slightly increased warmth, that has changed the B&W looking razor into something more natural with its beautiful chrome finish. That also went by applying warmth from the Tune Image tool to the entire picture, then applying a mask from View Edits. That is a meticulous elaborate process with which I was very happy last night, but again, this morning I don't see anything from it neither on my phone nor on my laptop screen.

The other observation is that it seems as if the Streamline would be the only razor I shoot. I'll come back with other razors soon pretending that anyone cares. :)

IMG_20190723_202709-02.jpeg

Last edited:

szekelya

Cropping problem. As a final step of editing, I usually put a frame to the image. Maybe a bit amateur, but I like them. Although this time it just didn't fit, because of the shadows. I always wondered how others think about that, but I just think that the shadows of the objects should be handled as an integral part of the photo, and shouldn't be cut or covered. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I just don't like when they are not taken into consideration. So this time I ditched the framing to preserve the shadow of the razor.

IMG_20190730_202724.jpg
IMG_20190730_202724-01.jpeg

D

Deleted member 1881

I had an inspiration too after seeing these pics from the beginning.

... Now I want a Mike's Natural Soap. Oh well...

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Damn! Thank you all :hug:. My father was a professional photographer, had his own business and used to work with Actor Daniel Day-Lewis, Director John Boorman and Author Frederick Forsyth. If I ever ask him for assistance, he starts talking about aperture speeds, Fringing or Lossy? Usually when that happens I would look out a window and think to myself Wtf is he talking about. The trouble is when he tries to explain, I have signed off again because I cannot imagine as a picture in my head what the hell he is talking about. Yeap I'm at fault, Dylexic But if I can't see it visually in my head, I can't comprehend it But if he was talking about scientific theories, now those I can wrap my head around.
I look forward to trying out your advice, Might be able to take a decent photo now :)

szekelya

Damn! Thank you all :hug:. My father was a professional photographer, had his own business and used to work with Actor Daniel Day-Lewis, Director John Boorman and Author Frederick Forsyth. If I ever ask him for assistance, he starts talking about aperture speeds, Fringing or Lossy? Usually when that happens I would look out a window and think to myself Wtf is he talking about. The trouble is when he tries to explain, I have signed off again because I cannot imagine as a picture in my head what the hell he is talking about. Yeap I'm at fault, Dylexic But if I can't see it visually in my head, I can't comprehend it But if he was talking about scientific theories, now those I can wrap my head around.
I look forward to trying out your advice, Might be able to take a decent photo now :)
Take a look at this video, in 1.5 minutes you get all of that with all the visual support you can desire.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItOco4_IOI