Soaps with good "protection" against rougher blades?

HereticHermit

Über Member
@les24preludes your soap list already include the 'top of the heap' names. I am all in for modest spend but with shaving soaps it seems one tends to do well with pricey soaps. Soap makers who seriously invest time and energy into developing a shave soap tend to command a small premium. To me, the process of finding a good soap is weaning out soap makers who are not just riding the wave of new fad.
With a big YMMV, there are inherent properties to a soap formula of any soap maker. As recommended by few earlier that P&B soaps are good but my last purchase was almost 2 year ago and I have no hesitation in admitting that no P&B soap from my batch can dethrone any GD soap (even though I don't buy GDs anymore) In similar vein no Floris/C&S soap can surpass any of P&B or Stirling. With good techine any decent soap will get you there but in the end you just have to experiment with many soaps and retain the ones you feel, perform closest to your liking. Like you soap scents play a big part in my shaving routine and now I tend to keep only those soaps which are slick and smell nice to me.
All said, sometime we need to experiment with lather itself. I tried bowl lathering and ended up with too much lather in addition to one extra step without which I could have saved some time. Back to face lathering I realized that I was spending too much time in making a beaver dam of lather that offered plenty of cushion but hardy slick for my old tough bristles on sensitive skin. Cutting back on swirling time I started shaving with much wetter but less dense lather that was slick as a snot. I can replicate the results from any cheap glycerin soap but I buy artisans for better scents.

While I dont have EU/UK specific soaps as reference but from you list, WK, GD, SV, MWF, Speick and Tabac are very good with Speick being lowest on the ladder for me. I see that you are missing on B&M soaps. I can say without hesitation that Will at B&M invest considerable time on making better scents. I have couple of them but for someone new to his soaps, Le Grand Chypre is absolutely a gentleman's soap during summers. T&S soaps are very good but his scents are bit of an acquired taste and they are pretty much 'in your face' strong. I can also recommend DG's Gratiot League Square as another mature, complex and a fine scent for winter time shaving.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yeah, oil+water shaves can be good fun. Dry shaving (as in completely dry) is something I occasionally attempt on a small patch of skin, but it's usually too tuggy for me. Any tips, other than tiny strokes and a well-clamping razor like a Mamba?
Very taught skin, or in other words skin pulling is essential. Very light touches. Pretty much common sense. I like to use my Kamisori to line up my beard and without any lather. I think this is because of the very sharp blade and complete control over the edge. The issue I have with dry shaving is stubble regrowth is itchy and unpleasant.

slapo

It's... alive!
Very taught skin, or in other words skin pulling is essential. Very light touches. Pretty much common sense. I like to use my Kamisori to line up my beard and without any lather. I think this is because of the very sharp blade and complete control over the edge. The issue I have with dry shaving is stubble regrowth is itchy and unpleasant.
Cheers. :)

les24preludes

Legendary Member
OK - so in my case the problem was an older blade and too much pressure. I put a new PTFE blade in my Clog-Pruf and had a wonderful shave. The blades are very sharp and you just have to hold the razor against the skin - no pressure. I used Speick with my Sagrada Familia and created a monster lather on my face. Absolutely perfect.