Soaps that have disappointed

Wayne

Forum Sod
Have you bought anything that simply has disappointed you recently?
I bought an Oatcake recently and as usual with me I thought it was fab on first use then realised that it was not only a tiny tin it was also half full and really expensive for the quantity supplied. Contents good, value disappointing.

D

Deleted member 1881

Have you bought anything that simply has disappointed you recently?
I bought an Oatcake recently and as usual with me I thought it was fab on first use then realised that it was not only a tiny tin it was also half full and really expensive for the quantity supplied. Contents good, value disappointing.

My thoughts exactly sir Wayne. That's what I wrote in the thread where you wrote also your review.

D

Deleted member 1881

DR Harris Windsor. 13,50 euros for no good lather, no special scent and the slickness was not there for me.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
L'Occitane Cade
TOBS Jermyn St
DG Trismegistus
T&S West Indies
T&S Sicily

I've long ago got over my disappointment with Tabac, Proraso and Cella which I only bought at the very beginning because in my ignorance I trusted other people's opinions about them. Now I just avoid them like the plague because I know better.

Dr Watson

James
Not recently but there have been a few disappointments over the years yes...

D.R. Harris - I found the performance just OK and the scents remarkably poor, these get so much praise I had unrealistic expectations.
P&B - Back when they were young! Enjoyed the performance but that cat pee stink was rank.
Geo. F. Trumper - Performance so bad it wasn't even any good as a hand soap.
Myrsol - As above, unfit for purpose.
Razorock XXX - Expected AdP Colonia scent, got yeasty bread... Awful.
Razorock Emperor - Expected Aventus scent, got some watered down pineapple... Awful.

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
Not recently but there have been a few disappointments over the years yes...

D.R. Harris - I found the performance just OK and the scents remarkably poor, these get so much praise I had unrealistic expectations.
P&B - Back when they were young! Enjoyed the performance but that cat pee stink was rank.
Geo. F. Trumper - Performance so bad it wasn't even any good as a hand soap.
Myrsol - As above, unfit for purpose.
Razorock XXX - Expected AdP Colonia scent, got yeasty bread... Awful.
Razorock Emperor - Expected Aventus scent, got some watered down pineapple... Awful.
I totally agree with the P&B I got Sanskrit God it stank of urine

jeepie

Forum GOD!
Really struggled to lather p&b Baskerville (binned) and Whitechapel... possibly will PiF if anyone wants to try it. They smell fantastic both.(I should say not had any trouble with others from the p&b house)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 1881

I want also to add that when a new artisan soap maker comes to business with a new soap like Oatcake, in my opinion should satisfy initially the eye and the appetite of the customer.

When you get a 80gr soap in a tin with a diameter even smaller that WSP soaps, you won't get any praise for this.

As for the P&B Sanskrit mine smelled cat piss too and I did a home cure for 2 weeks. Still the scent is strong but not unpleasant so I'm ok. Performance top class.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 476

I got a couple:
  • TOBS shaving cream that only had 90g of product, instead of 150g as stated on tub. Informed the company and no response. Great product but no one likes being cheated by a company.
  • DR Harris-Arlington. Heard great things but its just not working for me. Powder dry lather with woody forest, citrus and spice scent. I imagine popular with the old timer crowd. Couldn't figure out how to get good lather. Nice wooden bowl though.
  • Williams Mug Soap. a bath soap in disguise that fools no one.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1881

Really struggled to lather p&b Baskerville (binned) and Whitechapel... possibly will PiF if anyone wants to try it. They smell fantastic both.(I should say not had any trouble with others from the p&b house)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you try the 50% wet brush method?

R181

Grumpy old man
Always interesting to see the soaps/creams that are mentioned as being crap in a thread like this. As always there are some that I agree with mentioned but also some mentioned as crap that I have found to very good for me. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances as far as shaving soaps/creams go, reviews be damned.

Bob