Second & Third pass lather

• Thread starter Deleted member 1881
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1881

Let's make a small or big discussion here about this one.

Do you prefer the lather thinner or you load more to be thicker on the subsequent passes?

I find that if I have a thicker lather the moment that most of the hairs are gone, I tend to press down the razor more. When it is thinner, I get better slickness, but again the protection is not that good for me.

So I haven't decided yet!

So.... I leave the shavers to answer!

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
My second and third passes usually have thinner, but slicker lather. It's all about lubrication.
Edit: My lather is thinner for later passes because I'm not building the lather on my face as I am doing for the first pass. I am simply applying it to my face from the brush.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Same lather all three or two passes. It's all about finding the best lather type for your preferences, which in turn is dictated by razor and technique.

Thick, slick and shiny is my preference, unless using a straight then it's pre shave oil and a thin, super slick lather over 2 passes.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I usually whip up far more lather than I need for my typical 3 pass plus touch up shave. Therefore I like to lather up my face nice and thick for each pass, including the touch up. I try to use up most if not all of what is in my bowl but I always have enough left in my brush for another full pass or even two after the 3 passes and touch up.

I use the same lather (i.e. from the bowl) for all passes, yet the 2nd and 3rd always go on thinner.

I've always wondered why this is... Hmmm..
Do you rinse off your face with water between passes? If so, you are introducing more water to your lather with each subsequent pass. That may be it.

D

Deleted member 1881

I usually whip up far more lather than I need for my typical 3 pass plus touch up shave. Therefore I like to lather up my face nice and thick for each pass, including the touch up. I try to use up most if not all of what is in my bowl but I always have enough left in my brush for another full pass or even two after the 3 passes and touch up.

Do you rinse off your face with water between passes? If so, you are introducing more water to your lather with each subsequent pass. That may be it.
Definitely a good thought man. That's why I always leave the lather more pasty when bowl lathering, in order to tolerate the water from rinsing my face later. Or else it becomes airy and frothy and disappears.

Ps Did you use the Maca Root Older Formula, like you said a few days ago?

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
I use the same lather (i.e. from the bowl) for all passes, yet the 2nd and 3rd always go on thinner.

I've always wondered why this is... Hmmm..
I’m the same and I always start from a wet / rinsed face and rinse between passes.
I always assumed it was because the first pass has a better “Key” to adhere to.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I usually apply a thicker lather on the second pass as I always squeeze out the knot to release the lather onto my hand and apply it from there. It is amazing the quality of lather the knot holds on to.

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
I usually apply a thicker lather on the second pass as I always squeeze out the knot to release the lather onto my hand and apply it from there. It is amazing the quality of lather the knot holds on to.
I do this on my third pass (I’m not as good at it as @Wayne), it also let’s me feel where I have been less than efficient

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
I’m the same and I always start from a wet / rinsed face and rinse between passes.
I always assumed it was because the first pass has a better “Key” to adhere to.
This is what I'd assumed also, a hairy face is akin to a brush of sorts so holds the lather better I suppose.

TheGreekShaver

Forum GOD!
When I lather for the second or the third pass I do build my lather but not a lot like the first pass. When I finish a pass I apply some water to my face and apply the lather to my face. If it seems to me pasty I introduce a little bit of water to the brush to hydrate it a bit.

R181

Grumpy old man
I face lather and try for the same consistency of lather for all 4 passes. I like my lather thick, slick and with a sheen to it. I wet my face before I start and between passes. I will add soap if necessary as I go and use the same type of lather regardless od shaving instrument used.

Bob

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
I'll keep the lather the same thickness on all passes, and post shave squeeze out the last from the brush and place it on my face like a mask. I'll then let it sit as I soak in the bath and wash off before I get out. At that point its dehydrated and just what I call bubble dust lol.

I know @Fox likes to water down his later after the first pass.